• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

If you could go back to school for a degree...

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
If you could go back to college (no cost) for a degree based solely on your interests and not on a job, what would you study?

Related to that, do you have an interest in academia and learning just for the sake of learning? Or would going back to school - even if for something interesting - be torturous to you?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
If you could go back to college (no cost) for a degree based solely on your interests and not on a job, what would you study?

Related to that, do you have an interest in academia and learning just for the sake of learning? Or would going back to school - even if for something interesting - be torturous to you?
I already took the degree of my interest in college: Social Sciences, major in Behavioral Studies.

If I had to have another go at a college degree, I think I'll pick Hotel and Restaurant management. In fact I've been eyeing a school in Switzerland famous for their their HRM programs. It's just soooooo expensive. But it's one of those "one day if I win the lottery and I have time to go back to school" I would like to attend that school.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
Psychology was pretty much the perfect degree for me, based on my interests. Too bad it's not really helping me find a job right now :shifteyes:

If I did another though, based on interests, then definitely American studies/US history. I love it... probably because it is hugely shorter than Brit history so there's a lot less to remember :hah: Just kidding, I think it's really interesting for some reason. I love US geography as well, have done since early teens.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I would either get my MBA in Economics or my Bachelor's in US History. I do enjoy learning for the sake of learning, neither of these would really help me with my current job but they both interest me.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'd want to get a bachelor's in philosophy. I really only took one philosophy course in college and it was during my second semester or so. Philosophy is just an awesome study because it has historical significance in politics/society but it also makes you think on another level. You can study the philosophical approach of figures from hundreds or even thousands of years ago and still have it leave you stuck in deep thought today.

I actually have a book that collects Plato which I read a little at a time here and there. Philosophy is a subject on which I could keep buying books and studying it a little on my own and be happy.

I just never considered it in the real world because the only option would have been teaching. Social work/psychology is my passion, anyway. But it would be fun to do the philosophy degree for sure.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'd probably pick philosophy or psychology. While I enjoy studying either of those, I don't entirely like many of the common school elements (primarily HW).

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
When they asked me what I was interested in, in high school I said sports and weather and I already did the sports thing so my choice would be weather.

If not weather, probably something geography related.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
If I went back to school it would be either for some kind of trade, or something in the computer sciences. However, the only way I'd go back to school is if it was all paid for.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Definitely languages. It always amazes me when people can switch from one accent to another without struggle. It's an impressive skill and would be useful when traveling.

Elanor

Registered Member
I have always loved Ancient History, something to do with the Egyptians and the Greeks would be amazing!
If I had the brains I would love to do Mechanical Engineering leading on to working in Formula 1, but that is just a dream, and always will be.

One day I am definitely going to get a degree, just a shame I will have to pay for it.