If you could become bionic

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Mirage, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

So if science and technology allowed for humans to become almost completely bionic would you be up for it?

I'm talking about replacing as much of your body as possible with titanium, perhaps comic book style.

Sure there are scientific boundaries and balances that would have to be met, but assuming most of the human body can be done away with and your brain can be hooked up to a cyborg type of machine, thinking every bit as clearly as you can now, would you do it? I kind of consider your brain as "you" since just about everything else can be swapped out during transplants. A brain transplant would result in you waking up as whoevers brain was just put into you. (Let's remember we are assuming all of this is possible for the sake of the question)

Pros: You'd be very hard to kill, considering you wouldn't really be at risk of losing blood. I guess blood would be made inside your new body somewhere and circulated to your brain, housed in a titanium casing (skull of some sort). Of course you could have a realistic looking skin and outer appearance. Terminator style. ;) You could probably easily live several hundred years..

Cons.. Well, you wouldn't really be human anymore for the most part. You'd probably need repairs and/or upgrades periodically. I assume instead of eating there would be another way to provide proper nourishment to your brain. You'd essentially be a brain inside a highly advanced robot.

So who would do it?

2. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

The nerd in me says hell yes. That it would be really interesting to do this.

Yet the hopeless romantic in me says hell no. It would make relationships complicated if the woman I fell in love with wasn't bionic.

3. Mason

Mason phawq

I'd show off my bionicness to my nonbionic friends who aren't bionicworthy.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Fee-nix

Yeah, I would agree. I mean, it would be cool as hell to be bionic, but it would make social things difficult, especially around those who weren't. I don't know...that is a difficult decision.

5. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Exactly. I love to cuddle. But it would be weird with a metal body (assuming the exterior is metal)

And would we be able to swim?

Do we have to shower?

What about sex?

6. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

You'd probably sink... but who knows. Maybe you could live under water due to having a built in oxygen tank. You wouldn't really have to breath. Your tank would just refill itself as long as you were not under water. :)

Something like that. I didn't think all the details through when posting this idea lol.

My guess is no. Robots don't really have actual genders beyond outward appearances.

You'd essentially be robotic in every way except for your brain. I don't even know if you'd be able to feel anything in general. I suppose that would be part of the advantage if you ever got in any fights. Hey I've been watching too much of the new Terminator TV show though.

7. Hi_Im_Tim

Hi_Im_Tim I am Heavy Weapons Guy

The only time I would consider doing this (if it was possible) is if I was in the Army so it would be really hard for me to die.

8. Clear_Note

Clear_Note Demon King/Sith Warrior

I'd be robotic and get upgrades so i can turn my body into a bunch of weapons combined. But i'd keep my penis.

9. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I wouldn't do it. The thought of technical difficulties is just annoying. I hate it when my ipod, computer, or even GF glitches, let alone my body. Then bionic kids will have new ways to tease other bionic kids like making fun of their outdated systems.

The drawback of not having any feelings would suck too. Your brain would starve itself for some external stimuli (which it can't receive) and go crazy. There's actually a phenomenon where your brain makes you feel like you have body parts that aren't really there. Eventually, your brain would turn to mush.

Maybe if I could get a part of my body bionic, I would go for it, but definitely not all.

The only part I like about being a robot it infinite endurance and durability. ;)

10. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

The obvious solution is to be a persocom.