If You Called the Shots

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by j.locke777, Jul 25, 2007.

1. j.locke777

j.locke777 Guest

What do you think it takes to be successful in Iraq? Where would the money and resources come to fund your ideas? this could be an intresting discussion.

Here's what I'd do:

1. Secure the Iraqi border especially the border shared with Iran and Syria.

2. Develop a War Bond System ( similar to what was done during WWII) to pay for the war, and the massive debt we've racked up with china. This war is the first ever to be paid for on credit with our enemies. I'd hate to be the one to get the bill for this war. which is in the trillions of $ btw.

3. use massive propaganda campaigns to influence the Iraqi civilians. The goal of this would be to drastically decrease support for Islamic extreamism. At the same time increase support for America and our troops.

4. When things start to become more stable, I would encourage American businesses to invest in Iraq, Boosting Iraq's economy, and flooding their market with American goods (ie. Starbucks, Microsoft, McDonalds, etc...). It may seem like an underhanded tactic, but if it could help us win the war, than we should do it.

5. Our leaders need to make it explicitly clear to Iraq's leaders, that if we are to help them out, they need to do their part by working 24/7, if need be, to come up with viable solutions to their countries problems. If they can't do that, then we need to have a date set, that only our commander and chief, generals, and the Iraqi president are aware of, where we would leave and have them fend for themselves.

6. Stop putting politics ahead of the war and do all we can to get it right. We can't pull out without being humiliated and losing the respect of many nations. We NEED a win in Iraq. we need to win it for Iraqi's and for our morale, we don't exactly have a winning record when it comes to major conflicts in the past 50 years.

Those are my Big Ideas for Iraq. I probably could come up with more, but I can't think of anything right now.

2. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

Well, if you're going to talk about this, you need to keep in mind that the war was designed to keep us there indefinitely nad entrench Bush's war cronies in the region

No doubt about that,

OR we could get a president who doesn't see a contradiction between asking congress for $87 billion and giving a $107 billion tax cut to the richest Americans.

No propaganda is gonna change the mind of a kid who's seen his big brother's wedding party blown up by an American Smart Bomb.' Besides, the Bush propaganda machine is working overtime to convince the 25% of Americans that still support the war to stay on board.

Agreed, but the only business that's going to invest in Iraq is Haliburton.

What would keeping it secret accomplish?

Hate to break it to you, but we already have been humiliated. Bush has lost the war. The only thing that will change if we pull now or later is the American body count. We've destroyed their country and our dignity as a world power, and at this point all we can do is save our own boys and hope that some day we can be forgiven for the atrocity that is Opation Iraqi Freedom.

3. joshua41

joshua41 Guest

I can't even begin to decipher this, so I'll explain why we are over there.
    1) Repeated Violations of U.N. codes
    2) Any country that threatens countries within its own region with dangerous weapons deserves to be brought down. specifically israel.

What's the contradiction? 87 billion dollars to keep our troops and Iraq safer has nothing to do with tax cuts for the highest level Americans.

Also, I believe the concept of tax cuts to the highest taxed class is called Reagan Economics. When wealthy America is doing well so are the lower classes.

Ofcourse isolated incididents of friendly fire cause amnosity towards the locals, but it is a small price to pay when keeping the world safer(especially the region around Iraq) Not to mention you forget to realize that there are a lot of Iraqi citizens glad that S.H. is out of power

I totally disagree with you. It seems like a big risk to invest U.S. consumer services in a country that the demand may not be very high in when compared to many Asian Countries. I think the best way to build their economy would be with their oil.
    Your whole assertion has no basis in any fact. If we have lost the war then why have we killed Sadam Hussein? If we have lost the war then why isn't America a Muslim country?
    Just because two rival factions of Islam are fighting each other and there are terrorists in the country that periodically attack U.S. forces doesn't mean we have lost the war. In fact it seems that you are hearing about less U.S. casulties each day which does represent progress.

Really-look at what we have accomplished and you should be proud to be an American. We put to rest a crazed maniac set on developing weapons with the capabilities to kill large amount of people, and at the same time freed his citizens from his oppressing rule. This clearly out weights any side effets.

4. j.locke777

j.locke777 Guest

5. JimServo

JimServo Guest

What is being done right now except we have to stop talking to Iran.

6. j.locke777

j.locke777 Guest

I just heard this idea the other day? It goes against my optimism in humanity, but it might be a last resort:

Have Iraq come up with a litmus test to determine who the good people are, Take them and put them in refugee camps on one of our islands taken by emminant domain, and then let the remaining bad guys kill themselves off.

Not my Idea, I see some flaws in the plan, but it was offered to me by a
    GS13 in the DLA. I'm curious to know what you think about this.