• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Divisive If we had a 100% gun ban in America

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I don't think a 100% gun ban would work anywhere. Just look at Australia, 17 years ago we changed heaps of gun regulations after a mass-shooting. And since those new regulations there have been no more mass-shootings.

It wasn't an all out ban of all guns. People still own guns here, there are people who hunt, people who shoot for sport etc after all. They just made stricter regulations on the type of weapons you can own and it made an amazing difference. The biggest one being stopping mass shootings. Other ones being rates of gun homicide decreasing heaps and rates of teen suicide by gun also going down a lot.

So no I don't believe in a 100% gun ban but I do believe in tighter gun regulations.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
It would never work. Having grown up in the South, we take gun ownership very seriously here. It's a constitutional right, and I wouldn't be surprised if it lead to another civil war if they actually tried to enact this.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
They just made stricter regulations on the type of weapons you can own and it made an amazing difference. The biggest one being stopping mass shootings. Other ones being rates of gun homicide decreasing heaps and rates of teen suicide by gun also going down a lot.
How many mass shootings were there in Australia before the regulations? If there were only one or two, I don't think it's a big enough sample size to say the regulations had any effect.

As for gun homicide rates and gun suicide rates, they doesn't really mean anything. The overall homicide and suicide rates could have stayed the same for all I know. It just means they find other ways to kill besides using guns.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
In the 18 years leading up to the law changes there were 13 mass shootings in Australia. In the 17 years since the laws were put into place there have been zero.

dDave

V.I.P.
It would never work. Having grown up in the South, we take gun ownership very seriously here. It's a constitutional right, and I wouldn't be surprised if it lead to another civil war if they actually tried to enact this.
I'm not from the south and I still see just how much people value their guns. People would see a full firearm ban as a bold move by the government and we would see a new civil war.

In the 18 years leading up to the law changes there were 13 mass shootings in Australia. In the 17 years since the laws were put into place there have been zero.
What were the regulations before then? What are they now?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I don't know all the specifics, I'd have to do research into it. But I know there was a national buy-back of "high powered" weapons. As for what exactly how powered is then I'm not too sure.

I found this on wikipedia.

" The proposals included a ban on all semi-automatic rifles and all semi-automatic and pump-action shotguns, and a tightly restrictive system of licensing and ownership controls."

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
If we do ban guns 100% entirely, there would be outrage and the criminals who possess knives would have a bigger chance of killing their victims, even though not in one blow.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The author misses the point. The issue isn't out of control gun use. If that were true we would see mass shootings at gun shows and groups of guys couldn't go on a friendly deer hunt without killing each other and otherwise law abiding citizens would be shooting each other over a simple fender bender. As long as we have people like this author focus on gun use we are never going to solve the problem.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I think when there are 32,000 gun related deaths in America each year you can argue that gun use is out of control, the fact that people don't shoot each other up at gun shows seems irrelevant.