• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Divisive If we had a 100% gun ban in America

dDave

V.I.P.
I've heard several people say over the past week that we should ban guns 100% in America and we'd have no issues with them any more. I don't mean to offend anybody, but do these people understand the situation?

I think that if we banned guns outright that it would turn into prohibition all over again. The Mafia would regain power (just like they did with prohibition) and the criminals would be king of the streets.

We have hundreds of millions of guns in America. Does anybody think that banning them is actually going to cause everyone to turn them over? Am I the only one that sees this?

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If they do ban them people aren't going to turn them over. Then police will have to go after these people then there will be more deaths, maybe even a war. There will be a black market for them just like there was alcohol and drugs now. Just don't think that will work here.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sounds like a great plan in a perfect world but we don't live in a perfect world. There are going to be people who hide their guns and do not turn them over to the authorities. The black market thought is another good point...people (bad people probably) will find a way to get their hands on them.

Unfortunately guns are part of the culture in certain areas of the US. I don't understand it and I don't understand the appeal but that's how it is.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
No, they don't understand. The number one killer for black youths between the ages of 18 and 25 in Chicago is being shot with a gun. These guns are not being bought at gun shows, from gun dealers, they aren't undergoing background checks, these guns are bought on the secondary market. One could argue we have a gun culture but I disagree. I was raised around guns and around people who were raised with guns as was millions of people. Millions of people here in Texas have their CCL and have never even shot their guns unless at a target or while hunting. We have a lot of violence in our culture. We have gang problems and a lot of their fights deal with territory and where they sell drugs. We have an entitlement culture where people don't work and are supported by the government which leads to a lot of free time, time spent getting high and selling drugs for money, which leads to more violence.

I know it seems like there is more and more of these shootings in public places but given the growth in population there really isn't that more. But even if you accept that there is focusing on guns is taking our eyes off the ball and not dealing with the real problems in our society.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Having lived in the South of the States, I can honestly say that there would be a war before those people give up their guns. They take their right to bare arms very seriously and I don't see how they will ever agree to handing in their guns.

I don't see a ban on guns ever happening, novel idea as it may be. And it shouldn't even be entertained as a thought, if for no other reason than the fact that it could just never happen/work.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If they did take our guns away how are they going to get them away from gang members. I tell you how they won't, everyone will just be a easy target for them. The only way they will get them away from gang members is to round them all up and search all their houses and hangouts and that won't happen. Which it shouldn't.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
A 100% ban on guns is not going to solve any of the problems with guns. Even if they manage to round up ALL the guns. Guns are just the tool, not the problem. Its the boredom, the drugs, the anger and the violence that costs people they're lives. That's what should be focused on.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Banning guns will only increase crime and the black market. The majority of gun crimes are committed by people who get their guns illegally. The real issue at hand is the severe wealth disparity that creates the need for people to participate in crimes where they feel they need to use guns. More poor people = more crime. Fix the economy and help the poor get real jobs and gun crime will go down.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
A 100% gun ban would never work in this country. A world without guns sounds great in theory, but that's not really how it would go down. There would be millions of unhappy Americans unwilling to turn in their guns. I think a lot of these people would fight back against the government if necessary. There would also be a black market where people would obtain guns illegally.

People need to stop with the knee-jerk reactions every time there's a mass shooting. Getting rid of guns will not solve any problems. As horrific as mass shootings are, they are a relatively small problem. My guess is that far fewer people have been killed in mass shootings than the innocent people who have been killed by our drone strikes.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
A 100% gun ban would never work in this country. A world without guns sounds great in theory, but that's not really how it would go down. There would be millions of unhappy Americans unwilling to turn in their guns. I think a lot of these people would fight back against the government if necessary. There would also be a black market where people would obtain guns illegally.

People need to stop with the knee-jerk reactions every time there's a mass shooting. Getting rid of guns will not solve any problems. As horrific as mass shootings are, they are a relatively small problem. My guess is that far fewer people have been killed in mass shootings than the innocent people who have been killed by our drone strikes.
Exactly. Far more people have been killed on the streets of cities like Chicago, Houston, New York, LA, any major metropolitan with gang problems. We have these knee jerk reactions every time it happens and we have politicians who politicize these events every time as well, which is disgusting.