• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

If There Is A Lockout in '11?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Will the owners go with scabs? They did in 87 during the strike. What's to stop them from doing it again? I know it's the owners enforcing a work stoppage but what's to stop them from having scabs and lowering payroll to about $1 million or so per team while still collecting TV money for essentially minor league quality games?

Thoughts?

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
It seems like this is a possibility, but I don't really know why, but I have a feeling it wouldn't happen. I'm not sure if it's the expanded popularity of the NFL, or if it's the other possible football opportunities (UFL and CFL being the first to come to mind) taking potential players from this plan, but it just seems unlikely to me.

Should it happen, I'm not sure how I would feel about it. I would obviously like to see football next season, but watching a hodgepodge of random players that couldn't make it would seem kind of off-putting. Not being able to cheer for the same players, and therefore the same team, as the past few years causes me to lose a good amount of enthusiasm. Add in college football to give me a football fix, and the whole scabs idea just seems to fall flat to me. But I can't speak for everyone obviously.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't think it would work. The only thing the NFL has over college football is the talent level. Lower the talent level and then there's no reason to watch the NFL when college football is more exciting. There's not enough fan loyalty. Nobody wants to watch substitute players playing for their team. A lot of teams are already having enough trouble filling up their stadiums.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's my first though on the situation Echoes, if it does happen then Football fans can still fall on College Football. I don't believe that hardcore or even casual fans would like to watch some scabs playing, and I'm not even sure they would be able to get enough people to play(like VV mentioned)

I don't see it working either, and I don't feel like the NFL would even try it.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
The support wouldn't be there like there is now, but I have no doubt in my mind people would still come out and watch. Hell, the Browns still sellout, right? ;).

There are enough hardcore fans of individual teams that would go out and support their team. If the CFL ever went on strike and used scabs (god forbid what that would look like), that would not stop me from watching every Blue Bomber game. As for the NFL, hell, I would still watch games every Sunday regardless. It wouldn't be the same, but it's still football. Football is the sport in North America right now, especially in the States. People will watch.

That being said, I don't think they will use scabs again. I personally think using scabs would effect the league more by lowering its brand then the players, having it used as a bargaining chip against them. However, it will be interesting, since from what I have heard from a few columnists, there is a good possibility a strike could occur. Let's hope not.

micfranklin

Eviscerator
Next fall will be 60% more boring if there's no NFL football to watch, I'll tell you that much. And I personally can only deal with college football for so long before wanting pro football.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crypticshock Hockey 1
Millz Hockey 184
Babe_Ruth NFL 1
Mirage NBA 1
Babe_Ruth NBA 36