Movies If Star Wars came out today..

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Babe_Ruth, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Let's say that Star Wars never excisted before today. Do you believe the movie would have the same impact if it was released today instead of 30 or some years ago?

Do you believe it would be a Box Office hit?

Thoughts?

2. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

Very interesting question Babe. I am going to go with yes. I think it would have been a box office hit if it were only released now. It would certainly not have the same type of fan and the followers might be a little different than the excisting occult following, but there would be a huge fan base none the less, imo. The story is epic and as such there will always be those who either love or hate it.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Nope.

Assuming it would look better and such would be a plus but Star Wars I think was always just a decent movie that had a great box office run that was heavily punctuated by it's dedicated fan base. It would be successful, but not as successful as it is now.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I think it would largely depend on the Timing.

I'm thinking of Avatar... you take an otherwise solid movie plot and then give it the visual backing that Avatar did.... Now replace Avatar with Star Wars.

Star Wars at any given time now (had it not been released) would look like any other Sci-Fi movie only a bit more extensive and reaching. But then you take the CGI that Avatar had, Replace Avatar with Star Wars and make SW the first movie to Truly Embrace the Full 3d Full CGI experience instead of Avatar, and I think you could truly make it bigger than what it was originally. Take that same niche that Avatar did to make an otherwise 8star movie into a 10 star movie by just capitalizing on the Perfect Timing.

However I honestly believe that there is less margin for Error nowadays then there was back then. So the movie would have to be even more watertight visually, verbally, and everywhere else than it was during its first release back in 1977.

To add to the OP... would you watch a Star Wars Reboot? Same Story to the T, advanced tech in Visuals, New Actors, the whole Shebang. Not that Star Wars needs a reboot... but we've come a long way from mini-replica spaceships attached to wires that made the Raw Star Wars element what it was.

5. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Probably not because the special effects back then are what seperated the movie series from everything else. Nowadays special effects are in 9 out of 10 movies, plus everything has become so cliched right now, in terms of plots, characters, settings, etc.

6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I don't think it would have nearly the same impact. Like micfranklin said, the special effects were what wowed everyone. People hadn't seen that kind of thing before.

By the way, BR, you are no longer allowed to make anymore Star Wars threads until after you've seen the movies! :lol:

ysabel likes this.
  7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I've watched maybe twenty minutes of Star Wars a few weeks back, does that count? I don't know which one it was though.

Anyway, I never understood the facination with Star Wars, even in that twenty minutes I thought it was boring. Now I know you can't really judge a movie from just watching a few scenes, but I just don't believe I would like it.

One day, I'll sit down and give it a chance. Just don't know when that day is going to come.

8. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Well of course you can't understand the fascination if you haven't even seen it before.

icegoat63 likes this.
  9. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

Star wars benefited heavily from its timing and release date, it was one if a kind back then and that lead to its huge popularity. Its like asking if the beattles would be as successful today as they were before.

That said, Star wars is still unmatched for me in what it does.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  10. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

No, the focus would be on special effects instead of the storyline, like a lot of movies nowadays, so it would basically suck.