• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

If someone came knocking

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I am currently re-watching "The Strangers" as I re-watch "Them" the other night. This isn't going to focus on the movies so much but more what you would do.

So its 4am, you have been sound asleep and have a busy day planned for the next day and intend to wake up at about 6am when you suddenly hear a pounding on the door, stones being thrown at your window or someone constantly ringing your phone and hanging up. Would this freak you out at all? I am always very nervous of people I see looking at flat when they walk past and if someone presses my door buzzer I am always a little suspect.

Does it bother you? Would you investigate or ignore whoever it was and hope that they went away?

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
No, I wouldn't check it out under any circumstances. Even if they were just knocking... in fact, that's happened to me before quite recently and I just left it (though I was awake, it was at stoopid o'clock in the morning). I figure if it's anyone I know, which is unlikely, they'll call my phone.

So I would only investigate if I had reason to think it's not some random person. Like if my friends had gone out that night and it could be them playing around or forgotten their key. That's actually happened too, I answered the door really late at night and it was some guy I didn't know but he was meant to be staying at my house because he's a friend of my housemates, but he'd gotten lost on their night out and just come home lol.

I also don't answer the phone late at night when I'm at my university house (I would at my parents home) because usually I'm the only one awake really late and I don't want to be scared by myself haha. I would if my friends were around.

MaaB

Registered Member
If i know the person who knocking the door i will open to him.If i don't know him, i will ask him why he come in this late time but i will not open the door under any circumstances.
If i heard strange sounds outside the home, i will carry a knife and see what happen outside from the window or close all windows and doors and sleep.
If the phone ringing, i will answer it.
:D

viLky

ykLiv
I never answer my phone, I always let voice mail get it. So, if somebody was calling that early in the morning (it has happened a few times before), I would just let the voice mail get it and if it was an important call I'll wake up to answer. If not, well, back to sleep for moi.

I had people come up to my place at all hours of the night. One time, this guy drove up in a truck around 9 PM, came directly to my place, knocked and wanted to sell me meat. WTF!? First, NO. Second, I'm not going to buy meat from somebody who is coming up to my house at 9 PM. Third, NO. Fourth, I'm not going to buy meat from a door-to-door salesman. Fifth, this guy ONLY came up to my place. Once I turned him down he proceeded to get back into his truck and drove off. WTF x2!? That was so bizarre.

Usually - like the phone - I won't answer. I'll peek out to see who it is and decide if I'm going to answer the door or not. I tend to just ignore it and go back to whatever I was doing. I do this because it's always a salesman, Jehovah's Witnesses or in rare cases..., a weirdo. If you want to come over, please call first. ^.~

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I had people come up to my place at all hours of the night. One time, this guy drove up in a truck around 9 PM, came directly to my place, knocked and wanted to sell me meat. WTF!? First, NO. Second, I'm not going to buy meat from somebody who is coming up to my house at 9 PM. Third, NO. Fourth, I'm not going to buy meat from a door-to-door salesman. Fifth, this guy ONLY came up to my place. Once I turned him down he proceeded to get back into his truck and drove off. WTF x2!? That was so bizarre.
:lol:

Sorry viLky but that make me laugh out loud! I am genuinely stunned someone would just show up at your door asking if you wanted to buy meat! Did he look stoned or drunk?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
It was certainly freak me out if someone was pounding on my door that early in the morning. I would attempt to find out who it is without having to open the door. I usually like to play ignorant with stuff like that so the chances of me opening the door are slim and none.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
In all honesty if someone was pounding on my door at 4 am I would grab my gun and try and find out who it was without opening the door. If they tried breaking in all bets are off.

Starfire86

Registered Member
I would just ignore them. I'd turn off my phone, but chances are I wouldn't hear the door. If they started harassing me too much I'd just call the police.

wolfheart

Registered Member
When I had my own place I went through this a couple of times, people banging on the door at stupid o'clock,throwing stones at the windows and all kinds of other crap.
Each time I would open the door, and every time it was some random drunk looking for someone else in the block.

99% of these people were extremely sorry about getting the wrong flat, but one guy went nuts, he was sure that I was lying to him.
He went from being very abusive to planting kicks on the front door, so I ended his little hissy fit.

At my ex's its a different story, my kids are here so I Dont open the door unless I am positive about who is there.
Not long ago I forgot to lock the front door and had one of the neighbours come waltzing into my front room in the early hours of the morning with a friend in tow, luckily for the all involved he realised what had happened before I got to him, and said sorry while backing out very fast.

Wade8813

Registered Member
If someone knocked, I'd look to see who it is, then respond accordingly. Nobody would throw rocks at my window since I'm on the ground floor, but if I was on the second floor I would be really weirded out by it - but I'd still look through the window to see who it was. If someone was calling my phone I'd probably check caller ID, but I have no issue with just answering it. If they kept calling and hanging up, I'd turn off the phone and go back to sleep.

No, I wouldn't check it out under any circumstances. Even if they were just knocking... in fact, that's happened to me before quite recently and I just left it (though I was awake, it was at stoopid o'clock in the morning). I figure if it's anyone I know, which is unlikely, they'll call my phone.

So I would only investigate if I had reason to think it's not some random person. Like if my friends had gone out that night and it could be them playing around or forgotten their key. That's actually happened too, I answered the door really late at night and it was some guy I didn't know but he was meant to be staying at my house because he's a friend of my housemates, but he'd gotten lost on their night out and just come home lol.

I also don't answer the phone late at night when I'm at my university house (I would at my parents home) because usually I'm the only one awake really late and I don't want to be scared by myself haha. I would if my friends were around.
So wait, you would assume that your friends would call you, but you never answer your phone? :lol: