If Obama made the decision to pull US out of Afghanistan

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was thinking about this question for the last hour after hearing something about Obama today.

Lets say Obama decided to pull out of Afghanistan during the next few days would you support it or be against it?

Thoughts?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Obviously he can't just pull out, no questions asked. It has to be a slow process which I'm pretty sure his campaign tried to promise during his run for presidency. Of course, that hasn't happened yet, if anything more troops have been sent in. We're going to be in Afghanistan for a long time because it's such a torn region. I think we should reduce our presence but only when they're more stable.

I would be against Obama's decision if it was a hasty plan.

Sim

Registered Member
I agree with Constantine. I'd support a transition plan that gives a roadmap for an orderly withdrawal, but I wouldn't approve of a hasty retreat that brings the risk of leaving the country in chaos.

Bananas

Endangered Species
I'd be against it. What would be the point? It would be like the Gulf war, give it 10 years and the US would be going back in there as the Taliban regain power and becomes a haven for al-qaeda. What would be done if the US do pull out? ...place sanctions on one of the poorest countries in the world!

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
We cannot bomb Afganistan into becoming a Western-style nation, and I really see no point to our being there. Al-Qaeda just picked up and moved to a place where a major operation is politically untenable, and getting at them seems to no longer have anything to do with the operation in Afghanistan. Whatever we happen to be doing, and that is not so clear to me, it does seem as if a slow withdrawal would be prudent. Though, ultimately I think it seems so out of our delusion we can make things there right with military action.
------
Really, I think our excessive defense-spending got us into this problem in the first place, and fuels the idea we can somehow get exactly what we want if we just stick with it. "When all you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail," as they say.

Last edited:

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
The US needs to amplify Afghani Gov't forces so they can support themselves. That could easily take another decade. Any plan that involves us pulling out within less than 6 months is just stupid

Shikimi_Farkash

Registered Member
i don't see the point in not gradually pulling out. their gov't needs to take care of itself and they wont have any incentive to improve if we just stay there.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Obviously he can't just pull out, no questions asked. It has to be a slow process which I'm pretty sure his campaign tried to promise during his run for presidency. Of course, that hasn't happened yet, if anything more troops have been sent in. We're going to be in Afghanistan for a long time because it's such a torn region. I think we should reduce our presence but only when they're more stable.

I would be against Obama's decision if it was a hasty plan.
Actually, I believe Obama promised to draw down troops from Iraq in order to focus our efforts in Afganistan. Funny how now he doesn't have the time or
inclination to take the advise of the general he put in charge.

We should have the resolve to see this thing through. But it seems the domestic agenda of growing federal government has taken over.

We need to s**t or get off the pot.

Mixed feelings here. Pulling out would save the US some money on war, ease any hostile tensions towards us and so. But at the same time no one's gonna stabilize the country.

Sim

Registered Member
Maybe it's not realistic to expect Afghanistan to respect Western standards, or even becoming a Western style free democracy. As EI said, this cannot be forced on a people from the outside. First, the mentality and local costums must change and then, there can be freedom and a democratic state, not the other way round.

So maybe it would be the best if the West just tried to get any kind of stable government structure in place in Afghanistan, even if that meant to include the Taliban and giving them at least part of the power, and then left the country.

A country with a semi-democratic, semi-tribal clan system governed by a council of warlords where even islamists are represented that grants some stability due to a balance of power, is still better than chaos or a Taliban theocracy, and this can much easier be achieved than Western style democracy in a country that meets none of the prerequisites for such a free system.