"If my candidate doesn't win the primary...."

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Unity, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

I'm curious what everyone thinks of supporters of a given candidate that say they won't vote for the other if their candidate (Hillary or Obama) doesn't get the nod from the DNC. Hope that makes sense...kind of hard to word!

If you support Hillary, and Barack Obama becomes the nominee (which is what it's looking like at this point) will you vote for Obama? Why or why not?

I'm a big Obama supporter, personally. If Hillary Clinton were to win the nomination, I would still vote for her in the fall because I know we need a Democrat in the White House at this point. I don't understand how people on either side could say they really want a change from the past eight years but that the vehicle for that change has to be their candidate. It boggles the mind!

2. Matriqulated

Matriqulated Future is Fused 3036A.D.

I'm voting democratic no matter who it is this year. But in terms of having to choose between Obama or Hillary surprisingly enough it might not have to come to that: Hillary4VP

The end is here, this is the only way she gets to stay in the game with weight. Finally she makes a strong move in this thing. Now it is on Obama to unify the clans so to speak. If he "asks" her to join the ticket as VP, there is a real good chance people who are going to ask themselves this very same question vote for both of them. Advantage D and everybody knows it. But it's on him, if he refuses to ask her to form voltron here then Clinton will maximize the votes she takes away from him, which I think would be enough for McCain to win. Plot thickens.

3. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Obama has more delegates now than he needs to win. I supported Hillary at the start of the primaries, but changed my mind after seeing how Obama motivated, inspired, and organized people. Hillary has the makings of an excellent bureaucrat, but he has the makings of an excellent leader.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
    Matriqulated likes this.
  4. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

What do people really want changed? Healthcare..the war? We hear all this talk about change, but no one ever talks specifics (generally speaking). What lots of people really want are more free hand outs.

Currently Bush (if a Democrat was in the white house, he/she would get blamed too) is blamed for high gas prices that aren't his fault in the first place. They are the fault of the idiots who didn't want to drill in Alaska when we had the chance. How do people propose to change this? Magical green energy of course. Not by drilling in Alaska. Well, why can't we just do both and be done with it?

But back on the topic of the thread...I obviously won't be voting Democrat anyway. And I only have 1 other choice that has a chance of winning.

Jakey-D likes this.
  5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

ahhh....the problems of having a dominant two party system.

I got to admit Im glad Im not in the US right now as none of the candidates appeal to me.

IMO:
    Obama is a noob punching above his weight, he is relying on charisma and also playing the race card to often. In his latest speech he completely failed to acknowledge working class white America yet praised black Americans. I dont think he represents the people like he is trying to suggest.

Clinton is a bureaucrat and not a president, she would be more suited to foreign secretary or vice-president than the running of the country.

McCain has the experience but I see him as the puppet for the much larger republican rollercoaster that put the Bushs into power. I edge my bets on him.

6. Matriqulated

Matriqulated Future is Fused 3036A.D.

Obama gave praise to Hillary and her 'supporters' during the speech last night who she and the media has labeled "working class white America". I think because of the medias tugging on the race issue it makes everything these two say a mine field. Imagine the media storm that would be created if Hillary had said, "Black Americans, I need your support now." On that note, her speech didn't include any mention of the African-American community. They are catering to their base which most politicians do if they want to win. I'd love to be in a place where the media and the candidates didn't have to address issues of race, but it is what it is. If anything I believe Hillary had played the race card much more than Obama, especially since Ohio. This is why it is imperative they unite the ticket and squash all of this BS.

7. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Bullshit. The taxpayers of America want their money to be used for what they want it used for. Our current handout is a war begun by morons, that supposedly has some ghostly payoff that seems more hazy and hard to grasp every day. I suppose it was intended to give peace of mind to ignorant cowards. Myself, it seems that money would be better put to use towards more substantial benefits.

I get sick and tired of this inaccurate pejorative-laden description of a functioning democracy doing its job: providing a vehicle for people to organize the nation in such a way as to maximize good for everyone. The people of America aren't looking for a handout. We simply want to get the most out of what we're paying for.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  8. Unity

Obama has barely mentioned race, aside from a historic (IMO) speech that addressed the issues of racism and race in the US in an adult tone. THat was long overdue.

In his victory speech, he mentioned Hillary Clinton as being a historic candidate because of her sex. He didn't mention his race.

9. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

The political spin and the dogma that surrounds his campaign has had a huge focus on race.

He has enticed the younger voter who are supposedly unambivalent towards race, yet when it comes to vote they shall most probably cast their vote based on political correctness rather than on political scrutiny.

10. Unity

I voted for Obama, and will again in November. I'm 25. My vote is based on his policy first, and also on his character.

To suggest that people vote because they're trying to be politically correct is completely wrong, IMO.