• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

If I Lived In The Old Days, I'd Be Less Happy

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
Back in the 1990's, I was dealing with depression as a teenager. And I knew an older gentleman who at the time felt that the good old days (when he was younger years well before the '90's) were better times for him.

One time he told me that I was living in the wrong time. He said I would be happier if my lifetime had taken place during his day.

Years later looking back, I realize that nothing could've been further than the truth.

Psychiatric medications weren't nearly as advanced back in the 1950's. And before then, they weren't even being prescribed in America yet.

Also, psychotherapy wasn't as advanced as it is today either.

I can't imagine my life without the assistance of psychiatric medication and psychotherapy. My life would be so much worse without it.

dDave

V.I.P.
Back in the 1990's, I was dealing with depression as a teenager. And I knew an older gentleman who at the time felt that the good old days (when he was younger years well before the '90's) were better times for him.

One time he told me that I was living in the wrong time. He said I would be happier if my lifetime had taken place during his day.

Years later looking back, I realize that nothing could've been further than the truth.

Psychiatric medications weren't nearly as advanced back in the 1950's. And before then, they weren't even being prescribed in America yet.

Also, psychotherapy wasn't as advanced as it is today either.

I can't imagine my life without the assistance of psychiatric medication and psychotherapy. My life would be so much worse without it.

I’m very glad you’ve found something that’s able to help. A lot of people don’t ever find anything.

Even in the modern age, our understanding of psychiatry, brain chemicals, and things of the sort is pretty limited. In my non-expert opinion, it’s a potentially dangerous thing to mess with. For the most part, psychotherapy drugs are very experimental and most have very serious side effects (including depression and suicidal thoughts).

I’ve been studying the gastrointestinal system recently (through research studies performed by the likes of Harvard, Stanford, and Yale) and have come to discover that that most of your brain chemistry is controlled by your gut, not the other way around. In other words, if you take care of your health in your gut, your brain chemistry is far more likely to be balanced and this can be the most significant factor in helping with things like depression, PTSD, and many other brain related issues (dementia, Alzheimer’s, ADHD, Autism, seizures, bipolar, etc.) everything is centrally linked to an issue with the gut most of the time.

Obviously, personal experiences still play a role in what goes on inside your head but there’s so much more to it.

I just thought that was fascinating and wanted to share.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The good old days are different for different people. What one person considers good another may not. Sometimes I think it would be great to live live the US when there wasn't much in the way of taxes, government telling you what to do. Think late 1800's. Then again there wasn't much in the way of medicine either. Would hate to be sick or need surgery during that time. Each time is a trade off and will continue to be so.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The good old days are different for different people. What one person considers good another may not. Sometimes I think it would be great to live live the US when there wasn't much in the way of taxes, government telling you what to do. Think late 1800's. Then again there wasn't much in the way of medicine either. Would hate to be sick or need surgery during that time. Each time is a trade off and will continue to be so.

I've been to the Biltmore house. One of the biggest houses in the world built in the 1890s. Funny that simple things we take for granted were luxuries for the super rich. Indoor plumbing, refrigeration, ac, heat.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've been to the Biltmore house. One of the biggest houses in the world built in the 1890s. Funny that simple things we take for granted were luxuries for the super rich. Indoor plumbing, refrigeration, ac, heat.
I just looked at some picture of that house, wow.