If Humans became Extinct

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's another thread about this but I'm gonna approach a different angle.

If humans became extinct what do you think the future of planet earth would be? Anything of interest? Obviously we have no way of knowing but I'd like to hear some theories.

Personally I think nothing significant or worthwhile would happen if humans became extinct. Animals would fill our cities, houses, etc. It would be really interesting to take a peek at the world 50 years after human extinction.

The movie "I Am Legend" gave a bit of a visual of what this would look like. I have to say it was really cool to see Times Square and other areas of New York City completely overgrown with wild grass with wild animals running amok.

If humans went extinct in a blink of a eye I could just imagine the odor of rotting food in grocery stores. Maggots, flies and who knows what else. Yuck!

I pretty much agree with you. I don't think anything interesting will happen. It'll probably be like Animal Planet where you just watch animals all day long roaming around and sometimes getting eaten. Nothing too thrilling.

Dust, animals and rotting food. Yup. An exciting world once we become extinct... >.<;

Bananas

Endangered Species
If humans became extinct, nature would take over and it would not be long until all is hidden, look at the lost cities in Central and South America.

As for animals the dogs and cats will take over, all those pets will become feral, the bigger dogs like Labradors and Alsations will do the best if they can overcome the initial reliance they had on the human hand.

As for evolution it could go anyway, who knows, maybe the ape will have another chance. Just like the dino's extinction gave a break for the mammals development maybe the loss of humans will allow for a new creature to take the leap.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
If humans went extinct eventually most everything would collapse or break down, a lot of dams would break without being monitored. The larger carnivorous animals would take over. I think that life would thrive if humans went extinct because then we wouldn't be standing on the way of animals and their survival.

TimmehD

Registered Member
I think what most people are forgetting is that we are animals. We are on the top of the food chain because we are intelligent, which makes up for not being 20 feet tall with razor sharp teeth. I'm pretty sure that if man was extinct then lots of ecosystems could be harmfully impacted. Man is an important balancing factor for other animals such as deer and even seals. It would stabilize after a long while but the initial shock would be tough, lots would starve to death.

It's safe to say vermin would thrive in our metropolises and could possibly start another plague. It wouldn't be a very exciting world, considering man is the only animal to have ambitions, to want to do something with their lives, whereas a lion is content to kill, eat, and sleep for the rest of its life.

bball4life

Alfred :: Gotham Hero
if mankind bacame extinct i think the world would go crazy. The oceans, and forests would most likely over populate themselves. Although many of the harmful things humans do would stop, like polution or wasting of the earths resources.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I think what most people are forgetting is that we are animals. We are on the top of the food chain because we are intelligent, which makes up for not being 20 feet tall with razor sharp teeth. I'm pretty sure that if man was extinct then lots of ecosystems could be harmfully impacted. Man is an important balancing factor for other animals such as deer and even seals. It would stabilize after a long while but the initial shock would be tough, lots would starve to death.

It's safe to say vermin would thrive in our metropolises and could possibly start another plague. It wouldn't be a very exciting world, considering man is the only animal to have ambitions, to want to do something with their lives, whereas a lion is content to kill, eat, and sleep for the rest of its life.
That's a good point, mankind is definitely a balancing factor in nature, if we weren't around then things would eventually work out but it would take a very very long time.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
There was a show on the History Channel about this exact same thing. Every man-made structure will eventually collapse and the planet will reclaim itself. Cities will turn into forests. Animals would thrive.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Nature might be contaminated by all the things left unchecked. That might cause everything in major cities to be in horrible condition.