If God is omnipotent

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Jeanie, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

then why does he need his followers to do his work for him?

2. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

What work does he need his followers need to do for him?

3. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Spreading his word, recruiting followers, "saving" people, evangelizing, etc.

4. Raos

Raos Registered Member

My G-d does not require any of those things.

5. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Who is your God?
    Why do you spell it without "o"?

6. Raos

Raos Registered Member

I am Jewish. We spell it without the o for a number of reasons. Mostly is is out of respect. The thought being you would not want the name of G-d written on something that could be thrown in the trash (or some similar thought). Of course that does not really apply to written words on the internet, but I still do it here because it is a habit and how I was raised.

7. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

I never got the impression that the Jeudo-Christian "needed" his followers to do his work for him. At the same time, I do not believe omnipotence is even possible.

8. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Some would say that it's because God doesn't need to prove himself to mortals so we need to do it for each other.

Psalm 78:18 - 31
    18 And they tempted God in their heart by asking meat for their lust.
    19 Yea, they spake against God; they said, Can God furnish a table in the
    wilderness?
    20 Behold, he smote the rock, that the waters gushed out,
    and the streams overflowed; can he give bread also? can he provide flesh for his people?
    21 Therefore the LORD heard this, and was wroth:
    so a fire was kindled against Jacob, and anger also came up against Israel;
    22 Because they believed not in God, and trusted not in his salvation:
    23 Though he had commanded the clouds from above, and opened the doors of heaven,
    24 And had rained down manna upon them to eat, and had given them of the corn of heaven.
    25 Man did eat angels' food: he sent them meat to the full.
    26 He caused an east wind to blow in the heaven: and by his power he brought in the south wind.
    27 He rained flesh also upon them as dust, and feathered fowls like as the sand of the sea:
    28 And he let it fall in the midst of their camp, round about their habitations.
    29 So they did eat, and were well filled: for he gave them their own desire;
    30 They were not estranged from their lust. But while their meat was yet in their mouths,
    31 The wrath of God came upon them, and slew the fattest of them, and smote
    down the chosen men of Israel.

They tested the power of God and he killed the fattest of them.

But, I personally don't believe in God, so I don't believe that it is omnipotent. I think that people just so desperately need to believe in something that they're willing to make it be able to do anything. And when you believe in something that hard, the human will can manifest things to actually happen.

9. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?

Epicurus (c. 341 - c. 270 BC)

Logic win.

Jeanie likes this.
  10. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

It's because of love rather than need. God doesn't need us to do His will, He allows it, just as a parent allows a child to help them accomplish something that could have been completed without those little hands. It's out of love that we allow our children to help, not need.

EllyDicious likes this.