• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

If by miracle the ABV of booze changed

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
If the Alcohol content of booze products changed in the following way:

So that the strongest alcoholic drinks we have, suddenly became the weakest.
e.g. Absinth or Tequila or whatever, is now like a Bitter Shandy.
e.g. A whisky is like a weak lager.

So that the weakest alcoholic drinks we have, suddenly became the strongest.
e.g. Shandy now blows your head off.
e.g. Lager is a liver disaster waiting to happen.

The taste of these drinks would remain exactly the same, just the alcoholic content is way different. --

I suppose drinks in the middle of the range wouldn't change a great deal... But others would, quite a bit methinks.

What do you reckon would happen to sales, alcoholism etc? In general? If this happened, as if by miracle.

Impact

V.I.P.
Well, I know I prefer the taste of beer over the taste of absinthe, but half the reason I don't like the taste of absinthe is because it tastes so strongly of alcohol. Same with shots of whisky/rum/tequila/bourbon/vodka/etc. So I don't see how if they would taste that way with a low alcohol content.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It would make pretty sad. It would be impossible to enjoy a beer without getting absolutely portaled. Half of a beer and you're drunk.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Well, I know I prefer the taste of beer over the taste of absinthe, but half the reason I don't like the taste of absinthe is because it tastes so strongly of alcohol. Same with shots of whisky/rum/tequila/bourbon/vodka/etc. So I don't see how if they would taste that way with a low alcohol content.
As if by miracle duck... It's just how it is.

I gotta say I think it'd be pretty damn strange to adjust to.

I think I'd be having wine a lot more than normal, simply because it might not change in alcoholic content so much, being generally in the middle of the range.
Also I like the taste of whiskey, so I'd be probably on a lot more of that. Which would be fine if mixed with soft drinks...
Bearing in mind that soft drinks aren't affected by this rule.

This might help with weight issues for some people too... less beer gut?

*Likes the word portaled*

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
It would make pretty sad. It would be impossible to enjoy a beer without getting absolutely portaled. Half of a beer and you're drunk.
My thoughts exactly. I don't want to just to be able to drink one beer and get blasted. That wouldn't make sense. Drinking a beer or two is what a lot of people do after work. Not so they can get drunk, but just to relax.

Also having vodka as a weak drink, what's the point? I drink liquor like vodka and 151 to get wasted. The taste of these drinks are horrible unless they are properly mixed, so there would be no point in making mixed drinks anymore. This wouldn't be a miracle, this would be a travesty. :nod:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I don't drink beer. I can imagine they might suffer more --- if they really like the taste maybe more people would be passing out in bars. There's a danger in having a drink so enjoyable to drink and with high alki content. That's how I feel with korean flavored soju or lychee sake. You drink and drink, not thinking of the alki content because it doesn't taste that much alcohol. Then boom! It hits you.

I'm a cocktails/vodka drinker. While I pick my drinks for their taste, I also consider the buzz effect. Tequila is disgusting but the buzz effect is awesome. Now I cannot imagine having to drink a glass of tequila and not feel any buzz at all. Why should I endure that taste? :lol: