If all Americans are forced to pay taxes for wars they don't believe in

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

. . . why should pro-lifers be exempt from paying for abortions?

2. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Wars are for the ultimately good which benefits both sides whether they think so or not. Abortions? That helps nobody in the short run, long run, ANY run.

3. Merc

Really? They help no one?

:shifteyes:

I'll just leave that one alone. So you're perfectly okay if tomorrow the US decided they were just going to blow the UK away? What if they told you they thought the UK was hording nukes or something else dangerous and that was the only reason they'd give? Are you that blind that you're willing to just follow them without question?

A government exists to protect the people, the people exist to control the government.

Sim likes this.
  4. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Vilky that was quite possibly the most ignorant and naive statement I have ever read at this site.

You have never fought in a war, you have never had to ration for a war, you have never lost loved ones in battles, you never seen innocents die, you have never killed a person in combat, you have never seen the consequences of battles....

But they are always good. Right?

You just topped FutureTrackStar and I did not think that was even conceivably possible.

SuiGeneris and Iris like this.
  5. viLky

viLky ykLiv

You learn from experiences, thus learning from wars that have taken place. If wars do not take place how would you learn from previous experiences on how they'll play out? Yes, people have suffered, died and many horrible things have happened. And, yet, down the road HOPEFULLY we reflect on past wars to see whether the next one will be justified, or whether it was just some false intelligence reporting we got from some bad sources.

Poking a child with a giant claw to crush it's living skull? I don't see how anybody would want to pay taxes for that. If you're for killing unborn children, well, pay with your own money, don't expect me to pay one damn cent.

pro2A likes this.
  6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Because spending on war is permissible under the Tax and Spending Clause while spending on tax money on abortions is not.

If one does not believe in a war a current administration waged then you show that displeasure with your vote. If you allow abortions to be paid under the government plan then it will be virtually impossible to ever cease the government from ever ending that, no matter who you vote for in the future. Wars end. The legalities surrounding abortions do not.

7. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

There seems to me that there's an important difference between not wanting to pay for a single war, and not wanting to pay for ALL abortions.

8. Merc

Kind of like how I don't want to pay either for a war that makes no sense. I'm assuming you've never seen the pictures of Guantanamo bay when it was up and operating? Are you telling me you wanted to pay for that? That's sick if you ask me.

Poking a child with a giant claw? Are you watching Hostel as if it's a documentary or something? I just fail to see how you have no problem with thousands of people dying yet a few unborn are terminated and you get bothered. This has always been the discrepancy that has confused me concerning the pro-war/anti-abortion crowd.

What about legalities surrounding forcing all of us to pay for wars that make no sense? Both are issues of life and death, the only difference is that one issue tends to go down really prickly and bothersome paths like religion and life after death. I'm not really on one side or the other in this discussion, it was just a comment I overheard and I decided to post it to see what people thought.

Except we have to pay for ALL wars. So where's the difference? Not to mention, it would only be for abortions that fall under legal limits. You can't just get an abortion whenever you want you know.

9. Hatton

Hatton Registered Member

The premise of your question is faulty.

Taxpayer money is spent on military funding regardless of the current state of engagement. Ships must sail, planes must fly and soldiers must train whether there is a "war on" or not. Spending varies based on deployments, but there are military deployments going on all the time.

On the other hand, abortions, with very specifically defined exceptions, are voluntary. Those exceptions have been clearly stated as, "cases of rape, incest or situations where the mother's life is in peril."

Funding the military isn't just about killing people, it's also about feeding people, keeping them trained and healthy. Most world governments also use their military for amazing humanitarian efforts. As a veteran I can say that there are TONS of projects that soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines either volunteer for or are assigned to as a part of their missions that not only help individuals but also rebuild communities and regional infrastructures.

To draw from your logic, abortion providers would be required to have the same impact. Unfortunately they do not.

10. Merc

Hatton, I already explained the thread which it doesn't seem you have read. I merely overheard the comment and felt it was more about stressing that forcing people to pay money for things they don't believe in happens a lot and for any group to complain about it is quite hypocritical since all groups try and force their agendas on people. Tis the nature of a "group" basically.