Idiots at the gym?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

This is more of a laid back thread. When you go to the gym there's a lot of stupid people sometimes, they won't take it seriously and just joke around. Personally I can't stand those people because a gym is not a place to be a clown. So I want to here some of your stories of people acting like fools at the gym. The worst one I've seen is a guy was bench pressing his friend, like how dumb can you be? You have all the workout tools you need and your bench pressing your friend. Please go somewhere else if you want to do that.

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I hate being a member of a gym which is why I've invested so much money in my own equipment. What I hate the most are guys that don't wipe their bench down, guys that hog a bunch of dumbbells and doesn't put them back when he's done, things like that. What I hate the most are talkers. Guys that go on and on about stuff I don't care about. I just want to get my workout in and get out, not discuss some new movie that just came out. Those are all idiots at the gym which is why I don't go anymore and work out in my garage.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

As long as they aren't bothering me, I could care less.

It's a gym, it's meant to be a lightly social atmosphere, why is it so bad if some people are laughing or having a good time? If they're endangering people with their actions then yeah, they can buzz off. Otherwise I don't see a problem.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't care if people are joking around and such with each other, personally I do it myself. It's just people that fool around with the equipment and such that bothers me. Like I mentioned in my OP bench pressing your friend is a stupid thing to do at the gym, it's unnecessary in my opinion. I agree with some of your views CO.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

What I really hate is when I'm waiting to use a machine or station and there's some idiot doing it with really little weight. I'm talking about people who could easily be doing much more. Well they sit there for the longest time because they aren't even getting tired due to having so little weight. It does nothing for them and it just wastes time.

Weight lifting is not supposed to be an aerobic activity and it really bugs me when newbs are tying up a machine burning out for 10+ minutes on little to no weight.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

That actually is a form of exercise, Brix.

You don't need to be busting your balls when you're at the gym. Sometimes, it's light resistance over a long period of time that works better.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Light resistance over time burns calories and that's pretty much it. I'm talking about the people who are taking up space on legitimate weight lifting machines. Not the people who take a pair of dumbbells to the treadmills.

For example, the people who slap a 10 pound weight on one of these and go to town for 30 minutes:

[​IMG]

:urp:

Sure it is a workout. It could be duplicated by doing an elliptical or running. There is little to no muscle benefit to turning a weight lifting routine into an aerobic workout.

Plus, this thread is about people who annoy you at the gym. I don't care if it benefits you or not. I think people who take too much time on machines are annoying plain and simple. :lol:

8. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

I mainly hate the people who make ridiculous noises when lifting weights. I had to endure it when i went to the gym and while i was working! The alleyway that i'd be bringing stock and stuff down, the gym was over it and i'd hear people out the window going "HYEUUUUUHHHH! YEEEARRRGGHH!!". It's much more annoying if you're actually in the weight room with them though.

There was a sign up in there that no-one really took any notice of. Had the regular stuff like wiping down equipment after you and whatnot, and then at the end it said something like "don't make ridiculous noises while using the equipment. It's annoying to everyone else and makes you look like a complete idiot" :p Unfortunately there was still plenty of people who felt it ncessary to vocalise their work out.

9. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I just hate when people come into the gym, start messing around making a lot of noise and just get in the way of other people trying to work out. The worst is when they jump onto a machine to just mess around on and don't even work out properly.

10. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

There's this guy at the gym I go to that makes these ridiculous noises when he lifts weights and them just seems to let go of them and let them drop from really high. He is one of the most annoying people in my books...he even ranks more annoying than the 3 asian girls who come in on and talk on their phones the entire time.