Identifying your race in the 2010 census?

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
How do you feel about identifying your race on the 2010 census? Do you feel it is necessary, or unnecessary? Do you think that it is irrelevant and even offensive to still be considering race as an important factor in 2010, or do you think that it is a way to remain politically sensitive to the multiplicity of individuals in America?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am going to be checking "Other" and writing in "American". The fact that I am an American citizen should be enough. The only thing that actually entering my race can do is allow for the government to be racist towards me in some way.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
I see no point in people not answering this or any question on the census. Being a minor, I won't yet be taking the census, but I spent Wednesday evening in a bar with 3 boomers ranting about how someone is going to have to shoot Obama. They where ranting about the census of course. I'll make another thread on that.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I'm with 'brix on this one. I only answered 2 questions: # of residents & race = American. Since it is my belief that government should not provide any benefit to one class of citizens that it does not offer equally to all citizens and race can only be used to differientiate citizens into different classes.

Hiei

The Hierophant
I'm really neither here nor there on this. On one hand, I can see that race really shouldn't matter in this day and age, but on the other hand I see it as the only way to see how diverse the United States has become in the decade since the last census.

Like I said, though, I really don't care. I put that I'm white on my census even though that's technically not true. If they can have "African American" and three different kinds of Mexican, why can't white people be more diverse than just "White." If anything, I'm American Scandinavian European. That's my only gripe about it, though. I'm actually curious to see how the demographics have changed and where.

Sigurd

Internet Dig Dug
I don't think that it's needed as well I think that the entire question is rather irrelevant. Asking race on a census wants me to believe that the government wants too much information.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
What bothers me about it is that repeatedly I've heard this goal of a raceless society, the race questions seem sort of counterproductive to that goal.

What's the point of asking race, income, education level, etc. if the whole point of the census is just to identify the existence of people and where they live.

It doesn't make sense.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
What bothers me about it is that repeatedly I've heard this goal of a raceless society, the race questions seem sort of counterproductive to that goal.

What's the point of asking race, income, education level, etc. if the whole point of the census is just to identify the existence of people and where they live.

It doesn't make sense.
Wait. They asked for income and education level? I don't really recall that on mine. :shake:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I put Native American. We Konkow Indians still havent Cashed in on the Whities taking our Land, still waiting for that Pay Day.

hahaha But seriously, I'd have to go back some 4-5 Generations in my family to find some sort of European Blood. I do find it to be disturbing though that they still ask for Race. Financial situations, yeah I can see that being relevant. But whether or not I'm White or Yellow or Red or Brown shouldnt make a difference IMO.

As hybrix said... its just another way for them to be Racist against me.