Writing Ideas for writing descriptive novel locations?

Carmelita

Registered Member
How does one find a description of a place that you have never visited, like a mansion? I am writing my first novel and I need some help with the descriptions. It is set on the plateau of a mountain and it is a huge estate grounds with all the amenities. I would appreciate any help.

CubsMascot

Registered Member
Well I think most of the time it's just a matter what the author is imagining the place to be and look like. If for example you say the characters are going to the Eiffel Tower of course all authors don't have the means to get to France. They can research the place on the internet and then give copyright credits to that place when the book is published.
If you can go to a specific place then yet again get permission to walk the grounds and give copyright credits. That's what I believe.
BTW did you get this first novel done?

Sian

Registered Member
What Mascot said. You might look up places on the internet anad if there are good enough photos you can just describe what you see. the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO, is one such place or the Scottish Castle at the Cherokee Ranch in Sedalia, CO, is another.. or just Google mansion on plateau :)