• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Idea to stop speeding

Ianray7

I just wanted to post an idea I had to stop speeding in cars. Ok so when cars are moving they create air flow, under, and over them, and the faster they go the faster the air flows. Also because of flutes and whistles we know that when ir flows through holes of the correct size and placement it cretes sound. So what if perforated wires were run down the center of lanes with holes correctly placed so that when air at, say 65 mph, flows over it; it creates a high, anoying, whistle like sound. For this to work the holes would have to be cut in just the right size and distance apart but I believe it would be possible and could drasticly reduce speeding. Tell me what your think, thanks. Also I apolagize if this doesnt belong in this section of the forum, its the only one I could think to put it under.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
This is creative, albeit a little impractical and roundabout, but I'm going to play along for a minute.

What would you propose be done for, say, sportbikes whose coefficient of drag is so little that there is a negligible wake of air turbulance?

Ex:

shelgarr

Registered Member
Very good idea. In fact shaking unbalanace unaligned tires in a few of my cars kept me under certain speeds. So I think an irritating noise would definitely work. One thing though....they could be disabled somehow.

BigBob

Registered Member
You'd have to change the speed limit per state because the speed limit on highways in Florida is 75 and cops let you go 85. Sure, your idea's good but like it was stated (like most electronics) it can be disabled.

Easiest way to stop speeding, raise speed limits :p

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It would probably just create more accidents than its intended to prevent or you'd end up with people who would just drive with ear muffs to bypass it. Also like Bob said, speed limits vary so that's an issue.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Thats a good idea, but I have yet to see any factual evidence that indicates speeding=accidents, so to put an idea like this into effect would just aggravate drivers. Not to mention nearly hundreds of thousands of miles of highway would have to be resurfaced. Politicians and beureucrats (sp?) are blowing money on putting signs every 1/10th of a mile, and people think thats a waste. That idea would be shot down.

Iris

rainbow 11!
What about deaf people?

dDave

V.I.P.
It would probably just create more accidents than its intended to prevent or you'd end up with people who would just drive with ear muffs to bypass it. Also like Bob said, speed limits vary so that's an issue.
Or you could just cover up the holes, that's always an easy solution as well.

I like the psychology behind the idea but it is very impractical.

A lot of cars make an annoying beeping sound if you don't put on your seatbelt or if you have the door opened, etc. naturally people want to get rid of these annoying sounds so they will put on the seat belt or shut the door.

I've always wondered how hard it would be to advance GPS a little more and make a "speeding alert" system to let you know that you are speeding, maybe it could turn on once you are 5mph over or whatever. It'd also be a handy tool for parents that are concerned their kids might be driving too fast or whatever.

Most GPS systems have built in speedometers and they already know most roads so I feel as if this could be easy (it might already exist).

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
I've always wondered how hard it would be to advance GPS a little more and make a "speeding alert" system to let you know that you are speeding, maybe it could turn on once you are 5mph over or whatever. It'd also be a handy tool for parents that are concerned their kids might be driving too fast or whatever.

Most GPS systems have built in speedometers and they already know most roads so I feel as if this could be easy (it might already exist).
I have an old Magellan GPS (I don't use it anymore because I use my Droid II) on which you can set a "speed alert" just as you say. Even as it's about 5 years old, it's still accurate within 2mph on average.

BigBob

Registered Member
Like Stego said, except the one I used was a TomTom. While you're driving, it has the speed limit of every road and it changes accordingly. So if you're on a highway and the speed limits 65 and you turn off onto a road and it's 45 and you're still going 65, it lights up red to let you know you're either 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit.