Ice climbing. Something I wouldn't do! >.<;

Discussion in 'Sports' started by viLky, Aug 1, 2009.

1. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Wikipedia: Ice climbing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some pictures:
    [​IMG]

Whoa!

[​IMG]

This activity is too risky for me. While it looks absolutely beautiful, I know at some point (probably during the beginning) I would slip and fall to my death. Even with the cables I have a feeling they'll slip out of the ice... I love the cold air, the ice, the scenery; everything but the climbing - especially the ice. I'm very weak in the upper-body and doing something like ice climbing looks like it requires a lot of upper-body strength. I'll stick to hiking and the possible climbing on top of a boulder. That'll be all the climbing I'll be doing. =D

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009

2. yagmur3run

yagmur3run New Member

chyo thats messed lol, would love to have a go though

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Necro thread!

Anyway, I can't imagine it would be any more dangerous than rock climbing. The ice could break in some way whilst ice climbing, while handholds may become loose while rock climbing.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Ice climbing is actually a lot more dangerous than rock climbing. The ice is a lot less stable than rock. You could break off an entire icefall, whereas in rock climbing you generally aren't going to break off huge chunks of rock. Plus you can impale yourself with your ice tools. And the anchors used to stop your fall are less reliable.