Ice climbing. Something I wouldn't do! >.<;

Ice climbing, as the term indicates, is the activity of ascending inclined ice formations. Usually, ice climbing refers to roped and protected climbing of features such as icefalls, frozen waterfalls, and cliffs and rock slabs covered with ice refrozen from flows of water. Ice climbing is broadly divided into two spheres, alpine ice and water ice. Alpine ice is found in a mountain environment, usually requires an approach to reach, and is often climbed in an attempt to summit a mountain. Water ice is usually found on a cliff or other outcropping beneath water flows. Alpine ice is frozen precipitation whereas water ice is a frozen liquid flow of water. Both types of ice vary greatly in consistency according to weather conditions. Ice can be soft, hard, brittle or tough.
Wikipedia: Ice climbing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some pictures:

Whoa!

This activity is too risky for me. While it looks absolutely beautiful, I know at some point (probably during the beginning) I would slip and fall to my death. Even with the cables I have a feeling they'll slip out of the ice... I love the cold air, the ice, the scenery; everything but the climbing - especially the ice. I'm very weak in the upper-body and doing something like ice climbing looks like it requires a lot of upper-body strength. I'll stick to hiking and the possible climbing on top of a boulder. That'll be all the climbing I'll be doing. =D

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Necro thread!

Anyway, I can't imagine it would be any more dangerous than rock climbing. The ice could break in some way whilst ice climbing, while handholds may become loose while rock climbing.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Ice climbing is actually a lot more dangerous than rock climbing. The ice is a lot less stable than rock. You could break off an entire icefall, whereas in rock climbing you generally aren't going to break off huge chunks of rock. Plus you can impale yourself with your ice tools. And the anchors used to stop your fall are less reliable.