IC or Tag Team titles?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Alright both of these were huge back in the 80's and 90's, the wrestlers defended them even more then the World Championship was.

Now both of those titles are a joke right now. The wrestlers who own then barely defend them.

Now my question is this, which one would you like to see the WWE revive and make the belt an important piece of the WWE?

2. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Well BOTH hopefully. It'd be great to have them both back to... meaning something again.

It looks like their trying to do it with the Intercontinental Championship but if i had to choose, i'd go with the tag team championship. Tag team wrestling of old is one of the things i miss most in the WWE. Edge and Christian, The Dudley Boyz, The Hardys... And even the mid card tag teams around the same time were entertaining; Too Cool & Rikishi, Right to Censor etc.

Miz & Morrison and Priceless are good quality tag teams, and Cryme Tyme look to be getting a push which i don't mind, they're pretty entertaining. i think things are getting better, so with a couple more good teams in the mix, the Tag Tam Title could be something worth fighting over again.

3. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I honestly can't pick one over the other. I agree that it does seem like they are trying with the IC title but as long as there are two sets of tag titles the tag division will never be as good as it used to be. I would seriously love it if there was only ONE set...the competition would automatically be fiercer and more competitive.

4. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Yeah it would probably be better to have one title but i can't see it happening. Are most of the tag teams on smackdown worth considering though? Carlito & Primo and Hawkins & Ryder are probably the two best tag teams on Smackdown in my opinion. I'm not really a fan of Carlito & Primo and Hawkins & Ryder are going nowhere. I think Raw has the majority of the Tag Team talent already (including Miz & Morrison) all it really needs is one or two more good teams to make the World Tag Team Title worthwhile again.

5. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Yeah and put them all together and the tag division aint bad...

Miz and Morrison
    Rhodes and DiBiase
    Cryme Tyme
    Jesse and Festus
    Primo and Carlito
    Hawkins and Ryder

I think that's it...that's 6 teams. That woud be solid if there was one set of belts.

6. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

If I had to pick one I'd go with the tag titles. There have been too many spans in the last ten to fifteen years where the tag titles, and for that matter the tag division, have had little to no relevance in the WWE. Names ranging from the Blackjacks, the Valiant Brothers, the Wild Samoans, to Demolition, the Legion Of Doom, the Dudley Boys, and the Hardys, they all have their own unique legacies carved out in wrestling history but they go to show that the belts should still be relevant.

7. generalblue

generalblue Where is my Queen?

I agee with you. The IC title is on the road back greatness, but their is not really a strong tag team division unless you put all the shows together.

8. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

I would think there are probably a number of little-used singles competitors on both shows that could be combined into viable tag teams. The problem I have is when these tag teams are just two random people put together, such as "Shannon Moore and Jimmy Wang Yang." A successful tag division usually (not always) needs more cohesive teams with a reason to be together, and sometimes a team name. Does that make sense to anyone besides me? haha

9. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

no i totally agree. Tag teams that are just "this guy and this guy" don't have the same effect as tag teams with a connection between the members, or their own gimmick. For example, CM Punk and Kofi Kingston never really did anything for me, despite having two entertaining wrestlers as members.

10. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I personally rather see the IC being reborn and have a great champion defending the title on weekly basis, just like it was done in 90's and 80's. The IC title doesn't mean anything at the moment, which is very disapointing. You barely see the champion defending it, and when you do, he usually loses.

I just hope now that Punk as the title, the WWE is going to make him defend it often.