• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Ian Thorpe coming out of retirement to compete for place at London 2012 Olympics

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ian Thorpe coming out of retirement to compete for place at London 2012 Olympics - Telegraph

I know this is old news, but I forgot to post it when I read it a month or so ago. I'm a huge fan of Ian Thorpe, I'm happy that he decided to come out of retirement. I always thought that he retired way to young. I hope that he can be the same humain torpedo he once was and compete against the big boys once again.

Can't wait to see him Phelps go at it again.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Ian Thorpe is probably the best swimmer I've ever seen. Yeah, Phelps won a record number of gold medals and is definitely more versatile, but Thorpe was ridiculous in the freestyle. I remember watching him win races almost by an entire length of the pool. He's way past his prime now, but it'll still be fun to watch him.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ian Thorpe is probably the best swimmer I've ever seen. Yeah, Phelps won a record number of gold medals and is definitely more versatile, but Thorpe was ridiculous in the freestyle. I remember watching him win races almost by an entire length of the pool. He's way past his prime now, but it'll still be fun to watch him.
I agree, man. I remember just being in awe when he jump into that pool. His strokes were flawless, and he was extremely fast. I agree that he's passed his prime, but he's only 28 years-old, so I'm sure he has a lot left in the tank. One good thing about this whole thing is that he's hungry for Gold, he wasn't hungry by the time he retired which is one of the reasons he retired, I believe.

Wade8813

Registered Member
That's pretty cool. Although really, I'm not sure you can say he's way past his prime. It's not like in football, where someone takes such a beating that their prime is much younger and much shorter. I've heard a lot of different peak ages (and obviously it differs depending on what you're talking about - muscle VS endurance VS whatever). But it wouldn't surprise me if he's still in his peak (albeit a bit out of shape).

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Trust me Wade, he is past his prime. He is struggling to qualify in local competitions in Victoria. He shouldn't have came out of retirement because he finished on a high but I should never doubt him, only time will tell whether he will be ready for the Olympics or not.

Wade8813

Registered Member
He may be out of shape, but that's not the same as being past his prime (much less way past his prime). Michael Phelps is going to be 27 when the Olympics start this summer.