I was once mistaken for...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ysabel, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

What mistakes have people made about you, be it your identity, sexuality, origins, age (minority/majority), profession, etc. ? What is the most unusual and/or most common among them?

No one has mistaken me for a guy yet. :madame: Age is more difficult for others so I get carded sometimes (mostly in the US). People assume I'm Chinese or Vietnamese and that I speak their language too. Even the tourists ask me to help them but I couldn't understand what they're saying. The most unusual mistake ever made about me is that I was a full lesbian and I got offers. :D

2. Lemonv1

Lemonv1 Registered Member

It's hard to mistake me for anything. I'm definitely white, not overly feminine-looking, and often speak ambiguously about my sexuality, so if people get that wrong it's not their fault but mine.

People aren't often far off when guessing my age but I look a bit younger so need ID for some things.

3. snowflake

snowflake Registered Member

People often mistake my age. They think im in my early 20's but i'm not. I'n in my early 30's:lol::lol:

I can say oneone has ever thought i was a man:lol: Thankgod.

ysabel likes this.
  4. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

Age wise, people usually think I'm between 23-25. People use to tell me I would make a good Chris Farley if that counts for anything =P

ysabel likes this.
  5. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

My own grandmother mistook me for my brother one time when I had just came round the corner...but I must admit we do look alot alike because he has long dark hair aswell, and we are almost the same height and that day we were both wearing dark colours :lol:
    I have also been mistaken for looking older than I am. When I was 15 people who didn't know me thought I was 18, and now that I am 18 people mistake me for being 20/21.
    A few times I have been mistaken for being German aswell. When I was in holiday in Spain a German couple started speaking German to me - that sorta thing has happend to me 2/3 times.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
    ysabel likes this.
  6. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

On another website I was suspected by one low-bred lout of being a reincarnation of a mild-mannered former member known for his overwhelming sensitivity to the plight of the emotionally stricken. Only after I grew tired of the repeated hostile inquiries and unleashed a barbaric string of lacerating epithets on my acid-tongued accuser was he apparently convinced that I was not the same shy and soft-hearted young kid whom he had dogged with impunity in past encounters.

I also get hit on by gay men a lot - at one job, in fact, by three co-workers in the span of a year. That flattering faux pas I don't mind a tenth as much as I did the above-mentioned case of mistaken identity.

ysabel likes this.
  7. viLky

viLky ykLiv

o-- Pre-puberty I got mistaken for a girl a few times on the phone. I never corrected them on it either. Heh.

o-- Mistaken for a female again on a forum. Because I'm nice? Because of my avatar? I dunno...

o-- I was also mistaken for a girl on EverQuest. I was too "nice" and I guess guys aren't usually nice. :rolleyes: - Any-a-do, I got a free item 'cuz of that. Heh, I guess it pays to pretend to be a girl on an online game? :D

ysabel likes this.
  8. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

Fixed.

When I was little, everyone in the world thought I was asian, which is strange, because I'm from egypt...

My mom tells me I had really slanty eyes.

ysabel likes this.
  9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Since I have a twin brother, a lot of people mistake me for him a lot of times. Also people believe I look 18 years old, when I am really 23. I just have a young looking face, which can be good when I'm 40 years old.

ysabel likes this.
  10. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

People always assume I'm younger than I am.

My brothers and I used to get mistaken for each other all the time, but it doesn't happen much any more.

People are usually surprised when they find out I'm 1/2 Chinese.

I know a gay guy who hits on straight guys all the time; it might not be a mistake on their part.

ysabel likes this.