• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV I want to stop my daughter from watching Spongebob Squarepants

Santababy

My daughter is 5 years old, she loves watching Spongebob Squarepants, but i found that this cartoon is actually not very suitable for little kids to watch. As compensation, i'm thinking of buy 2 toys to her, a SpongeBob doll and a Patrick Star doll, so that she won't hate me.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
It's a child's cartoon. What's wrong with it? So it won't teach her astrophysics, it's just mindless fun, and compared to a lot of other cartoons it is pretty good.
I saw one, supposedly pre-school programme, and the characters don't even communicate in English, not even simple English. It's grunts and noises and stuff. Bloody ridiculous.

Anyway, I can understand the nonsensical presentation of this programme putting you off, but I don't think it will harm you child in any way. Nonetheless, I must say, a toy will probably benefit her more, being an active stimulus. Although a bit of TV shouldn't be totally removed. Perhaps you should just restrict the amount of Spongebob she watches. If that makes sense. I hope it does. Good luck with it.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
There's nothng wrong with that cartoon. I think you're going over the top if you don't let her watch that. Buying 2 dolls won't be enough for her.
------
and please, specify what you mean "not suitable for kids".

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I can understand the nonsensical presentation of this programme putting you off, but I don't think it will harm you child in any way.
This statement will make more sense than any other that will follow in this thread, and I'll add another point in a second. Spongebob is designed to be stupidly entertaining for a child to watch. It is meant to be entertaining while still being marginally manageable for an adult to sit down and watch or, at the very least, have on as background noise.

The majority of children under the age of 9-10 will laugh at the shock value of a show like Spongebob but will rarely understand the nature of the hidden adult themes. Ren and Stimpy was the same when when I was younger and the Shrek series is filled with thinly veiled dirty jokes. A young child brought up in a decent environment will never "get" these kinds of jokes -- they will see a silly sponge on TV acting silly.

I hate that my daughter loves Spongebob. I love my daughter and want her to be happy. I do not feel that a television show with slapstick humor and subtle adult jokes harms her in any way so I allow her to watch it in moderation.

The problem isn't Spongebob. The problem is your personal moral standings and your methods of enforcing them on your child. Let's see how that turns out in 11 years.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
My daughter watches Spongebob and I don't have any problem with it. In fact I watch with her sometimes and still lol at certain episodes.

But if you don't want your daughter watching it, put your foot down and say "you're not watching it" and that's that. You're the parent. There are certain shows I don't let my daughter watch because they are not age-appropriate, or are asinine, or get on my last nerve. I'm the mom, it's my call to make. And I don't do anything to appease her because I don't want to teach her that following the rules comes with a bribe.

Reactions: Doc

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
My daughter watches Spongebob and I don't have any problem with it. In fact I watch with her sometimes and still lol at certain episodes.

But if you don't want your daughter watching it, put your foot down and say "you're not watching it" and that's that. You're the parent. There are certain shows I don't let my daughter watch because they are not age-appropriate, or are asinine, or get on my last nerve. I'm the mom, it's my call to make. And I don't do anything to appease her because I don't want to teach her that following the rules comes with a bribe.
That's right. As a parent, we worked hard for "because I said so". Don't be afraid to use it.

Personally though, I love SpongeBob. The older episodes are some of the funniest cartoons ever made. Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know what problems you have with the show.

Dabs

Registered Member
Everyone is in agreement here and thinking alike.
I have a good friend who refuses to allow her 5 year old daughter to watch Spongebob.
She says Spongebob's shows are dangerous, they do terrible scary things to their body, they take risky actions, they do stupid things, they poke things into their body, they use words she doesn't want her child to use, etc. etc.....we have all heard it I'm sure.
One time I asked her...who the heck is more afraid to watch SB, you or your daughter??
I say, the child reads in to it what YOU as the parent want them to read in to it.
I allow all of my grandchildren to watch Spongebob....I even watch it myself!!
Love the show.....I always tell my babies, I would like to live in a pineapple under the sea .....if I knew how to swim *ha*.....Spongebob has the life to me :)
Seriously.....I see nothing wrong with Spongebob....jeepers, the show has been around for years, and what all I can see, his popularity gets bigger and bigger with each year.
Scooby Doo does dangerous stuff.
Winnie-The-Pooh and his pals get lost "oh my!"
Is there any cartoon that doesn't have some unrealistic tone to it??
They are cartoons.....point out the funny things that Spongebob does, not the negative..hey, he loves working with no pay ~LoL~

Bjarki

Registered Member
I love spongebob, and I can't think of anything in it that might upset you. If you ban this one, soon your daughter will be limited to just one or even no cartoons at all. :-o

About sexually explicit content (which there isn't any in Spongebob as far as I can tell), as has been said before, you just skip over it when you don't get it.

There are way way worse shows out there, but none that I would consider truly harmful for a child.

I watched a toon called 'Purno the Purno' when I was young. It's still broadcasted here. Trust me, it was a totally different league. One of the episodes is only accessible to 18+ on youtube, it's about a visit to a nudist camp :lol:

And there's chin shan, that's a pretty horrible fellow too, but amazingly funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyDAj9q9mkw

I remember watching the CSI part on TV one day, I wasn't too familiar with the show back then, so when that part came, I was like: 'W-T-F, did he just say that??'. I kept on watching afterwards haha

Last edited:

Hiei

The Hierophant
It really doesn't matter what your reasoning for not liking Spongebob is, if you don't like her watching it, don't let anyone talk you into letting her watch it. She is your child and you need to do what you feel is best for her. Though, I do have to say, if you're going to stop her watching it, you might not want to buy her toys from that show. I feel like it'll only remind her that she's no longer watching the funny cartoon.

JaneSmith

Registered Member
Children grow when you allow them to make their own decisions, with your guidance. When a child wants something you may not understand the reasoning until later. But as a parent we have to be open to their little minds too.

I like Spongebob, it's creative and different. Further, the frequencies of the tones are pleasant to the ear.