I want 1 good reason against gay marriage that isn't religion or personal belief

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I've debated this topic a dozen times before for way too long and to this day, I still have yet to hear a decent reason against gay marriage. I feel arrogant in thinking this way, but I feel as if no good reasons actually exist. What ever happened to live and let live? Gays getting married does not and never will affect you, the straight observer. It will only make life harder and more of a struggle for people genuinely in love. Some people will say, "It's tax dollars being spent on something I don't believe in," and all I have to say . . . is that you've picked now and this topic to start questioning what your government spends money on? Fuck's sake if even a quarter of Americans knew what their money went to they'd probably start paying for gay marriages themselves.

What do you think? What is the best reason you've heard against gay marriage?

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I more or less wholly agree with you on this sentiment, since I've yet to hear a really compelling argument against it, myself; I don't think it's arrogance. I've found myself rather disgusted in the past, when someone comes up with what seems like a good argument against it, but then literally droves of people jump on the bandwagon, crying "Oh, yeah! Yeah! What he said, that's exactly what I've been thinking this whole time! I, uh, just couldn't find a good way of saying it... Yeah..."

Edit - Anyway, it's one thing to have a religious concern; whatever, that's your own business and there's no point in arguing it. I think what we want to hear is one good political reason that doesn't completely defy the principle of separation of church and state, or rely on some silly technicality in the law. If such a reason even exists.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Edit - Anyway, it's one thing to have a religious concern; whatever, that's your own business and there's no point in arguing it. I think what we want to hear is one good political reason that doesn't completely defy the principle of separation of church and state, or rely on some silly technicality in the law. If such a reason even exists.
Yeah definitely, I completely agree with this.

I just want to know who is really in danger if homosexuals are allowed to get married.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree with this completely as well. I've argued that gay marriage is not a protected right under the Constitution BUT if it came down to a Constitutional amendment barring a state from denying gay marriage or if it came to a vote in my state I would vote yes to allow it, as I haven't heard a good argument against it.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Yeah, I have never heard a good argument against it as well. I just came from Sociology where I presented a power point on gay marriage! Haha

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
If Jim and Bob, a happy married gay couple are living two doors down, is my life gonna be any different? Maybe it might be a little wierd at first, seeing them going for an evening stroll, especially if you're not used to seeing it, but it's not hard to adjust. I can think of some religious reasons, but those are best kept to myself, since they only apply if you believe what I believe.

I say let em get married, and if something disastrous happens as a result, we'll clean it up later, and learn from our mistake if it ends up that way. If nothing happens, then whats the harm?

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
Exactly, I just don't understand how this is such an heated issue. There are much bigger things to worry about... You know, things that actually have reason to be debated.

I just do not get why gay marriage keeps on getting banned everywhere when there just aren't any valid reasons against it. People say it's against their religion, but what happened to separation of church and state? As long as the government isn't forcing churches to do the marriages than I just don't see the point. We don't live in a theocracy.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
I just want to know who is really in danger if homosexuals are allowed to get married.
No one, it's just a classic case of people being afraid of pulling walls down. "If we let homosexual people get married then there'll be nothing keeping them seperate from us". Perhaps I'm being too narrow minded about this but I've always thought people use the gay marriage angle as a way to be openly homophobic without facing the backlash usually associated with it.
I'm always concerned with statements that begin like this, "I'm not Homophobic But ...."

Last edited:

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
You will never hear a good reason because there isn't any.

Every single gay, lesbian, bi and straight person on this planet has the right to fall in love, settle down, have children and grow old with someone they love and the only reason why people say they're against it is because they're either: narrow-minded, ignorant or homophobic.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I say let em get married, and if something disastrous happens as a result, we'll clean it up later, and learn from our mistake if it ends up that way. If nothing happens, then whats the harm?
But what could go wrong that heterosexuals haven't already done? We sell marriage as a reward on TV shows, have drive-thru churches, and divorce each other by the millions every year. I can't see the gay variety doing much worse.