• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

I took up boxing today :D

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
So I went to my gym this morning to banish my hangover and do my usual workout. Whilst doing things I got chatting to a trainer who asked me if I had every considered boxing, I said yes but have never really gotten into it so he took me aside and gave me a free session. I gotta say it is the best thing I have ever done! I am not a very violent person but I am a very angry person and pounding the pads etc did more for me than my last therapist ever did! I am really looking to start a regime and training etc but can anyone who has been in my position offer me any advice? Is there a right and indeed a wrong way to go about starting it?

wolfheart

Registered Member
I would say dont go rushing into the training until you have learnt what your body is capable of handling.
Throwing a punch the right way is something that needs to be practised, it is a whole body movement, and if done wrong can cause you some nasty injuries from sprained wrists to broken bones in the hands to torn muscles.

I boxed for a while on top of martial arts, and I really cannot emphasize how important these things are.

Hitting the pads or a heavy bag is a great way to vent, but it also burns calories at a fast rate.
I would ask the guy who you trained with to show you the basics, how to wrap your hands, jabs and straights and hooks,and ask him to put them into a routine for you.

Get to grips with the stance, your centre of balance and guard while practising slowly at first then building speed as you more confident.

Most guys that train people will be happy to give you some basic routines to learn.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
That is good. I boxed a little as a kid and have always incorporated it into my workout. I have a heavy bag in my garage and I jump rope. I'm thinking about buying a new speed bag.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't want to go off-topic, but I've always wondered why Boxers jump a lot of rope. Is mostly for conditionning?

If anyone could explain that to me, it would be tremendous. Is it something I should put in my routine?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I don't want to go off-topic, but I've always wondered why Boxers jump a lot of rope. Is mostly for conditionning?

If anyone could explain that to me, it would be tremendous. Is it something I should put in my routine?
I've heard it is mainly for conditioning. Which makes complete sense. If you can jump rope for long enough, you must have good stamina.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
It's not just great for stamina and conditioning, but it improves your footwork. I always used Everlast ropes, but I just bought a weighted rope by Nike that I love. I always go with leather ropes.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Like Cap said it improves your overall conditioning, footwork and co-ordination.
Personally I never was one for jumping rope, I just couldn't get into it.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Cheers for the advice folks :) - I am also rubbish at skipping with a rope so I can't see me doing that. I did however find this:

And despite it looking INCREDIBLY rude I am hoping it will be good to use at home.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I've never used anything like that, I have a 100 pound bag that hangs from a stand with a speed bag attachment on the back.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I've never used anything like that, I have a 100 pound bag that hangs from a stand with a speed bag attachment on the back.
I have tried to look for the ones you hang from the roof but as I live in rented accommodation and the beam in my flat don't seem to be that strong I wouldn't want to risk breaking something.