• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

I think my hamster is dying

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Hi guys,

Sorry but I really don't know who else to talk to. I got home about an hour or so ago and I found my hamster outside of his bed which was unusual for the time of day. I went to try to stroke him to see if he was okay and he got the shock of his life, I tried to talk to him but he just huddled up into a ball and wouldn't move. I managed to pick him up but rather than moving around like he normally does he just sat there doing nothing. Now he is sat in his cage in the corner doing nothing and I know it sounds horrible but I just want him to fall asleep and pass away quietly as I don't want to think of him being in anymore pain and seeing him not doing anything. Again sorry about this but I am just a little upset :cry:

Bliss

Sally Twit
Blah. I'm sorry but the behaviour you have described is the same as with my hamster. I lost him a few months ago.
He lived for 2 and a half years which is good going for a hamster.

There is nothing you can do but I would suggest trying to feed him and give him water. I took mine to the vet and was given some drops to put in his water.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I would say about two years at least, I have just checked on him and looks like he is asleep.

Bliss

Sally Twit
It might be nothing at all. But two is pretty much as old as hamsters tend to get. They can catch human colds.
Also, before my hamster got sick, he used to randomly fall to sleep outside of his bed. Especially when he was warm.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Did you notice him walking around with his eyes close and finding it hard to walk?

Bliss

Sally Twit
Honestly? Yes. :( He could no longer open his eyes at all. He would walk very strangely, wobbling a lot and would sometimes fall over. It was very horrible and I hope you don't have to go through that.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I know its daft to be as upset as I am, its a part of life and I know that hamsters do not have the longest life span in the world, it just sucks, cheers for listening though bliss :)

Bliss

Sally Twit
Don't let anyone make you think it's silly to get upset. I cried over my hamster. Quite a bit. My manager was a complete dick about it, saying that hamsters aren't like dogs. He said they don't have personalities and all this shite.
You cared for a living creature for two years. You see him every day. You feed him, hold him, care for him. It's natural to care about them and love them.
I loved Hamlet very much and I still miss him.

I'm sorry and I hope you don't lose him yet.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm sorry and I hope you don't lose him yet.
I agree with Bliss on all factors here. You have all of the right in the world to be upset and two years is a good lifespan for a hamster. If it is his end I'm sorry and I empathize.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Wade8813 Bathroom Wall 0
C-Mach Bathroom Wall 0
shelgarr Pets 8
AnitaKnapp Bathroom Wall 11
AngelsPeak Breaking News 14