Movies I think Bull Durham sucked

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Anyone agree?

I saw this movie under heavy pressure and I have to say, it was a major disappointment. It wasn't funny, it was incoherent and it just did not live up to even a sliver of the hype it was given.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Sarandon as Annie Savoy:

"I believe in the Church of Baseball. I've tried all the major religions, and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I heard that, I gave Jesus a chance. But it just didn't work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me. I prefer metaphysics to theology. You see, there's no guilt in baseball, and it's never boring... which makes it like sex. There's never been a ballplayer slept with me who didn't have the best year of his career. Making love is like hitting a baseball: you just gotta relax and concentrate. Besides, I'd never sleep with a player hitting under .250, not unless he had a lot of RBIs and was a great glove man up the middle. You see, there's a certain amount of life wisdom I give these boys. I can expand their minds. Sometimes when I've got a ballplayer alone, I'll just read Emily Dickinson or Walt Whitman to him, and the guys are so sweet, they always stay and listen. 'Course, a guy'll listen to anything if he thinks it's foreplay. I make them feel confident, and they make me feel safe, and pretty. 'Course, what I give them lasts a lifetime; what they give me lasts 142 games. Sometimes it seems like a bad trade. But bad trades are part of baseball - now who can forget Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, for God's sake? It's a long season and you gotta trust. I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball."

If you can't appreciate that monologue, then you have no baseball soul and the film is not for you.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I never said anything about the movie having no good moments.

With this quote in mind, I'll be more specific: 99% of Bull Durham sucked.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Bill Durham was a great baseball movie, not the best one I've seen that would be 61, but I definitely rank it in my top five baseball movies of all time, Costner and Robbins were terrific in this movie. I love the ending of this movie as well.

Surprised you didn't like it Cons!

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Bull Durham sucked big time, then again I hate most Kevin Costner movies. The dude just can't act. Neither can Sarandon. It was a stupid movie that I will probably never see again. Horrible acting.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I love Bull Durham, and I'm not even much of a baseball fan. I love the chemistry between Susan Sarandon and Kevin Costner, and I love the ending. It seems so appropriate.

Although I will say that three montages are more than enough for any one movie

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not a fan of Costner and Sarandon either but I believe they were good in this movie, the chemistry was definitely there between the two and that showed many times in the movie.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I love Bull Durham, and I'm not even much of a baseball fan. I love the chemistry between Susan Sarandon and Kevin Costner, and I love the ending. It seems so appropriate.

Although I will say that three montages are more than enough for any one movie
Perhaps that's why I didn't like it, I was expecting a sports movie and it was a romance one instead. I guess it was just my expectation since it makes top ten lists all the time when it comes to sports movies and I can't even recall an athletic scene in the movie.