I think a virus killed my Chrome browser

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Wade8813, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I was surfing the web (using Google Chrome), and clicked a link for what appeared to be a scam. When I clicked to close the tab, it wouldn't close (either by me clicking the X, right clicking on it to hit close, or via Task Manager). Something appeared in the icons bar in the lower right, telling me there were viruses/trojans/etc - but it seemed to be trying to get me to buy their product (while acting like a legitimate anti-virus program that was already running).

All of my Chrome windows stopped responding, and I restarted my computer - now Chrome is telling me that "This Webpage is not Available" whenever I try to open any website.

I can't use the Chrome help function, because that requires the internet...

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Oh noes. I use Chrome too.

When you said it killed Chrome, you meant you can still surf the sites with your other browsers without problem? Like, the virus on your pc just specifically attacked Chrome?

3. Wade8813

That's what it seems - I'm currently using Firefox to post this, from the same computer.

(I really don't remember Firefox being this annoying before - I used to use it all the time)

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

5. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Have you run your antivirus/anti malware programs?
    Did they detect/delete anything?
    uninstalling and reinstalling chrome might solve the problem. :dunno:

6. Wade8813

It's weird - I don't think it's a case of Chrome just being more awesome. Firefox is doing things that I can't imagine putting up with before.

Right after I restarted the computer, I ran a quick Norton scan that only found a cookie. But later Norton found 3 High Severity problems (it says Downloader detected by Virus scanner), and their status is Quarantined. On the side it says "Risk State: Fully removed" and "Recommended Action: Resolved - No Action".

I really hope I don't have to uninstall Chrome, because I have a ton of things favorited that I'd have to dump into a doc then re-favorite.

7. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

Run your antivirus mate, it might be more than just a virus though, if it's spyware, that means a no no...big time.

Chrome tends to crap up on me as well.....Norton is rubbish lol...unless you paid for it, don't use it....get AVG free and it's better :D:D

8. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Yeah I don't have any major problems with AVG, it uses a lot of resources (at least it did for me) but it gets the job done. Speaking of using way too many resources let's remember Firefox and the days of the really bad memory leak that jammed everybody's computer way too much. :lol:

Have you tried reinstalling Chrome?

System restore?

Other than that you can obviously run antivirus software, look up the exact message the virus/spyware gives you and see if you can identify exactly what it is and from there it's much easier to figure out how to remove it.

9. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

I would take a backup and format the system if I were you.

10. Wade8813

How much resources are we talking, here? My computer's a bit old - the last thing I want to do is download an Anti-virus that kills my computer because it's too big :rolleyes:

A quick look at their site doesn't seem to indicate how much memory the download eats.