I Remember Where I Was When...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kazmarov, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

There are times in history that are so poignant that people remember exactly where they were and what they were doing. For my parent's generation, they are things like Kennedy's assassination and the moon landing.

What moments in your lifetime have that quality?

2. Duke1985

Duke1985 EatsApplePieShitsFreedom

9/11, I was in a study hall watching the Monkey VS Robot music video, when I looked over at the computer next to me and watched a video of the towers getting hit. I didn't believe it at first then within 5 minutes the room erupted, the older kids were talking about enlisting, kids on cellphones.

Other than that I don't have any other moment like that I can remember.

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

9/11 -I was running the schools fall festival and had gone down town to pick up the table prizes. I sat around the business counter with a bunch of strangers bawling my eyes out.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

9/11. First period civics, then all day long every class had the TV's turned on and we just watched the news in pretty much every class instead of doing school work for the day. Towers fell while I was in English class.

Steve Irwin's Death. Was up late and happened to pull up Yahoo when it was right there on the front page. Was on my PC but I remember that pretty well.

Heath Ledger's Death. Heart about that here at GF actually. Logged on and saw MJ's post about it and was instantly super bummed. :shake:

Y2K. Watching the millennium turn over in NYC on TV. That was a pretty fun New Year's party for sure. Looking back that would have been the one to make it to Time's Square though. :(

Those are just some off the top of my head.

5. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

9/11 - I was in History class and our eyes were glued to the television in the corner when both towers fell.

6. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

The Gulf War - the first time we had to run to the sealed rooms and put on gas masks as the siren went. It was after midnight and the siren woke us up and we all rushed to the sealed room and remained there sitting on the beds listening to the radio and waiting for the all-clear.

7. Atreyu

Atreyu #2 New Zealander

Wow. thats crazy. What ended up happening? how long where you in the sealed room for?

8. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

That first night lasted for over 4 hours.
    Most nights after that, was never as long as that. The military got to figure out quick enough what areas of the country the scuds were launched at. So there were many times that after an hour we had the all-clear when other parts of the country still had to remain in their sealed rooms.

We were fortunate to never have suffered more than minimal damage.. a block off the roof's building got "chipped" off.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

9/11 I was at home opening my emails. I thought my sister was just sending those stupid FWDs. Then I switched on the telly (it's afternoon here) and just sat there watching it unfold. I couldn't believe it was happening because the year before I was just in NY and at the WTC and you don't really think of these things.

Princess Di's death. When it happened I was sleeping but I first heard about it over brunch. I was in a country club with my parents to celebrate mum's bday, and I was just telling them how weird it was that I dreamt of Princess Diana the night before. Imagine my shock when I heard what happened after....dun, dun, dun.

10. Sim

Sim Registered Member

11/9/1989, when the Berlin Wall fell, I was at home (in West Berlin), my father was plugging together some shelves he had bought at IKEA's. He had brought me peach candy, and I was eating them while watching and occasionally assisting him. He had turned on the radio while working, because there were already many protests and demonstrations in East Berlin and he was curious. Suddenly, the news came in the East German government had given permission to open the border, and I remember my father was amazed. I didn't really understand why exactly, but I instantly realized something big was going on. Two days later, my parents and I went to Brandenburg Gate and East Berlin, I remember clearly the people with hammers picking down the Wall there.

On 9/11, I had just started the 2nd week of work in the retirement home (civil service as substitute for army service). Work time was from 7am to 3:20pm, and when the 2nd plane hit, it was 3pm over here, work was almost over. I was collecting the dishes and in one room, where a nurse was feeding a patient, TV was on. I caught a few images of a plane crashing into the WTC, but since the TV was mute, I didn't realize what's happening and thought it was the trailer for a new movie or such. When I then came home around 4pm (10am in NY), I switched on the radio and learnt what had happened. I instantly switched on TV, and called a friend, asking him: "Do you know already what happened?"
    -- "No."
    -- "Then switch on TV!"
    -- "Which channel?"
    -- "Doesn't matter."

For the rest of the day, I would be very shocked and watch the reports on TV. A few hours later, maybe at 6pm, my girlfriend joined me. She had not known yet about it. Although I was extremely tired, because I had only had 3 hours of sleep the night before, I stayed awake until deep in the night, to follow the reports on TV.