I Never Knew That... (till today)

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Hey everyone,
The point of this thread is to share the new thing you have learned today, that you never knew about till now.

I've been reading a lot about the history of England and how the language evolved over the years and how different expressions came into existence. And I've learned so much - things I never knew.
I'm also currently reading a book by Meave Binchy, Heart&Soul where one character insists that others learn one new thing every day.

So....
I decided to bring A New Thing Everyday to GF :)
*Waiting for applause*

So I'll start.

I learned that Cymru, which is Welsh for Wales, comes from the word compatriots.
Now that in itself might not be interesting, but the reason for that is because when the Romano-Britons fled from the invading Vikings (Correct me if I'm wrong) to the area of Wales of today, they felt they were compatriots in the fight against the Vikings.

Last edited:

Minimint1

Registered Member
Haha nice thread, I learned that if I choose to join the army they will pay me to study :). Also that bluebottle stinger jellyfish start off flat when they are young and only fill with air when they are older, also if they go too deep they explode from the pressure xD.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Haha nice thread, I learned that if I choose to join the army they will pay me to study :). Also that bluebottle stinger jellyfish start off flat when they are young and only fill with air when they are older, also if they go too deep they explode from the pressure xD.
Ah yes, going to the army has its pros. But usually it means committing to the army for a longer period of time, no?

Minimint1

Registered Member
Ah yes, going to the army has its pros. But usually it means committing to the army for a longer period of time, no?
Of course, I have a minimum commitment of about 5 years after my 4 year mechanical engineering course at the Australia Defence Force Academy. However, a lot of this time would be spent in rural australia or disaster zones, even if I did go to war the engineers are in the backline :).

Dav1t

Registered Member
I learned that the search engine on here isn't that great (I started a thread the same as this one only to find this one was already here)

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
I learned that latch hook stuff needs binding or something?

Ok, maybe I didnt exactly listen to the WHOLE thing, but it's more than I could of told you yesterday.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I learned that electric eels aren't eels. They're actually knifefish with special organs that make electricity. I also learned that the electricity they make would kill them if they were on dry land. The water lets it spread out so they aren't harmed.
I also learned that if you make a clicking sound (like calling a dog) when you're near a skunk, you might get sprayed. The best sound to make is a whistling sound. Whistling noises, for a skunk, are a sign of affection. Just hope I never get a chance to test that, though.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I learned that Jennifer is actually a derivative of Guinevere. Pretty cool stuff.