I need computer advice...

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by pro2A, Aug 22, 2007.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I consider myself computer literate. I can fix most minor problems that come up, or at least circumnavigate them. I’ve had my desktop PC for five years now. Its configuration is a 2.6 GHz Pentium IV, I’ve upgraded to a gig of RAM, and I have 2 separate internal hard drives totaling 100 GB, and an additional 120GB external drive. I run a GeForce FX 5200 128MB video card with duel processors on it. Over all it’s a pretty sound system, and rarely gives me trouble.

Recently I’ve been having problems with it locking up, programs suddenly shutting down with no warning, I have big problems with images sticking or trailing if that makes sense? Like I’ll minimize something and the image of what I just had up sticks to the desktop either temporarily or permanently. The other day I had a blue screen pop out of no where saying it was doing a physical memory dump and had a timer next to it.

What I’m trying to get at is I think it’s about time to get a new, bigger internal hard drive or reformat. I know little about reformatting. I’ve always been scared to attempt one. What do I need and how do I do it? I know basics and I've seen my dad and friends do them, so I have an idea... I guess I need some kind of check list of what to do.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Sounds like you're using up a lot of memory.

How many programs do you have running?

Also, a spyware, adware, and virus scans are all good ideas to start off.

3. pro2A

I figured I was running a lot of memory. When I CTRL + ALT + DEL I get a scroll list of programs running. I do my best to close down non-essential stuff, but that’s like putting a band-aid on a broken bone. I run Stopzilla, Norton, and Spy Sweeper. I know I don’t have spyware, I have those programs set so high that if it even so much as smells spyware I know and it’s crushed. I keep on top of that. I check my program files all the time for it, and I really try to avoid potential spyware websites. Here is a copy of my task manager:

[​IMG]

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Norton does a great job of slowing down your system, is it new? My buddy had a rough time with it.

5. pro2A

It's last year’s version. I really have no issues with it. I use it mainly for virus control. I have a router that is a rock hard firewall that I run.

I’ve been thru all this trouble shooting before with my computer. What I am trying to get at is how to reformat my drive. I have so many issues with my system that I don't even know where to begin. A reformat right now I feel is the only option, I’m beyond the point of no return. Everything from programs taking forever to load, programs stalling during instillation then freezing, IE suddenly gets slow and sticks, and more. You name it, it probably has happened at least once. I’m getting frustrated with it and don’t even know where to begin so I just want to reformat.

6. Rapier

Rapier Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I

I used to get Norton faithfully usually for free or $10 but once XP arrived it became a lead balloon. I use Avast! for free . You should think over doing the same. Also, I see msworks and winamp running. You might want clean up the the programs that run at startup.

7. Graybeard

Graybeard Guest

Run msconfig, Check the selective startup option, then go to your Startup tab and deselect the items you don’t recognize. And reboot your system.
    Click OK when the system configuration dialog box appears, then click cancel when the system configuration utility appears.
    Check and see if your applications run, if they don’t then run msconfig again and select the options you think might affect the non-working application. Reboot and try again.
    You might want to download Ad-Aware and Spybot and run them. They are free spy ware detectors and removers.
    To run msconfig, go to "start" then "run" then key in "msconfig".

http://www.lavasoft.com/

http://www.spybot.com/