I need an advice about regrets, please help!

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by wasteland, Jul 24, 2010.

1. wasteland

wasteland New Member

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, and I would like some advice from anyone. Something that's been bothering me, but I can't change it past. It's a silly story. I know, I can't help it. :(

I shouldn't have thrown that Avenged Sevenfold t-shirt I got at Warped Tour away! I know it's been like 4 years, but I'm still regretting. My mom went and bought it with me. What a jerk I am. If anyone happens to read this, can you tell me how to stop regretting? Silly, but I still feel bad. It's the fact that the shirt was a memory, and it's GONE. I don't have memories like that with my mom anymore. She doesn't go anywhere with me anymore because she can't walk really far. She has problems with her legs. When she walks too much, it starts to hurt. :( I threw the shirt away because I went to a Christian camp and was told rock music is bad. Then I threw away tons of my favorite rock cds which includes Trivium, My Chemical Romance, Green Day, From Autumn to Ashes, etc.. I regret throwing those things away. What should I do? How can I stop regretting?

2. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

If you are constantly focusing on what you did or didn't do when will you have time to see what lies ahead. "When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us".
    -Helen Keller.
    Don't let regrets paralyze your present, it’s time to accept what is instead of what could have been, and start constructively dealing with regret......

Tips for dealing with regrets you may have:

1. Acknowledge your regrets (this you've already done)
    2. Make friends with them, accept them and then put them away.
    3. Don't look back.... look forward
    4. Make this your time for No Regrets
    5. Take a step back and see it from a different perspective, what could you have done differently?
    6. Learn from these feelings, so you don't do it again.
    7. Recognize what it is doing for you holding on to these regrets
    If there is something you can do about it, do it now. Forgive yourself and anyone else that may be involved.
    8. Talk to a professional or a close friend.

Don't hold on to your past to the detriment of your future. This takes courage, a lot of courage to move on. There is always something better ahead and you will not see it if you keep looking behind.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

The way I've always seen it is like driving a car. Would you drive using your rear view mirror? Of course not, but it's important to know it's there and to take a peek from time to time for safety's sake. You want to keep your eyes on the road ahead as well as the road around you. But you never drive with the rear view mirror.

Rebeccaaa likes this.
  4. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

If you're regretting it because of a memory you link to your mother then might I suggest doing something else with her? Make a new memory. If you are now regretting throwing your music away then can't you buy it again? I know you can't get the shirt but you can get the music.

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

This is another good suggestion, focus on making new memories. The old ones are nice or can hurt sometimes, so don't dwell on them so much.

6. JessEpiphany

JessEpiphany Registered Member

I've done the same kind of thing, for the same reason. It's just one of those things that you can't really change... you can get another shirt and replace your CDs but you really just have to accept that you might have been a bit hasty in your decision to throw things out and chalk it down to a lesson learned.

I also agree with those who said it would be nice to make a new memory with your mom.

7. Juan_Pablo

Juan_Pablo Registered Member

Throwing that shirt was a mistake. It's alright to make those mistakes, now you learn for next time. Savor every moment with family. Especially family.