• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

"I miss being in school"

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Most of us here are out of school and have started our adult lives. I don’t know how it was for you, but growing up I hated school and I couldn’t wait to be done. For a lot of years, I’ve said that I wish I was back in school instead of being a full-time grown-up. Now, I’m in a good place, I have a great Government position, and it’s permanent.

Do you guys miss being at school? Or you like adulthood?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
...Depends!

Working has a lot more responsibilities than just being in school.
Back then, I really disliked the school and I used to pray to get outta there as soon as possible. Nowadays I think I was just stupid, without realizing that adulthood is more stressful because you have to think of 1000 things at a time.

Whereas in school, you have only one thing to think of: "STUDY" and that's it.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
That's weird....although I had good grades everywhere in school except for maths, I kinda grew tired of school at one point and couldn't wait to finally finish it. It's really when you begin your adult life that you realize that you don't have a whole lot of worries in school. My parents always advised us to enjoy school while we were there.

Today, I just found the best of both worlds: yeah, I'm an adult but I feel like it's important to remain a kid at heart whenever we have the opportunity. Makes everything seem less stressful.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I couldn't wait to get out of that place. Even after graduating I would have nightmares that I was back in school and they wouldn't give me my diploma. They said I had to go through HS all over again. I was always relieved when I woke up. No I don't miss it. Do wish I had continued on with college. That was different than HS, I liked it.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Every phase of life has something awesome about it - somewhat like with childhood, being in school is a good memory for many because while it was a trial, many of the adult responsibilities weren't there. Yet we were still independent and finding our adult selves. I think that's the draw - I deal with a lot of clients in my job that seem to want to be "career students," and while I think bettering yourself is a noble thing to do there comes a time when everyone, from those that are set after high school to doctoral students, need to get to work.

For me personally I wasn't initially a great student but became a really good one once I was studying my major and not much else. Around that same time I got to be friends with a lot of people in my field and that part of it made the subject matter even more fun to dive into. There was less for me to worry about outside of school besides homework, which was nice. However, no matter how stressful my job is now when I go home I'm done. Period. No homework, no tests (well besides licensure-related stuff haha). Man, it took me a few months when I started my career to stop feeling like I was forgetting to do something! I like that aspect of being done with school, as well as the financial independence and the higher levels of maturity and assertiveness than can come with the right job.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
After three years straight of working overnight stocking at a grocery store, I can say that I am most pleased to be quitting and returning to college.

Working an overnight stocking job isn't what I consider 'adulthood'. Honestly, the longer I've been there, the more it has become full of employees that while they are adult in age, act like they're in elementary/middle school. Complete with bullying, and getting away with it.

I've had enough. If I'm going to have to put up with drama, at least let me doing what I love, not living to die on the graveyard shift.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
After three years straight of working overnight stocking at a grocery store, I can say that I am most pleased to be quitting and returning to college.

Working an overnight stocking job isn't what I consider 'adulthood'. Honestly, the longer I've been there, the more it has become full of employees that while they are adult in age, act like they're in elementary/middle school. Complete with bullying, and getting away with it.

I've had enough. If I'm going to have to put up with drama, at least let me doing what I love, not living to die on the graveyard shift.
Best of luck to you @Envy

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I definitely miss college. I miss my friends, who I'm not really in touch with anymore (unless you count Facebook) because we all got busy with jobs and relationships. I miss hanging out at the campus cafe. Little things like that. My stress levels were super low and all I really had to worry about was doing well on my exams. My parents took care of everything else. Adulting is hard, apparently.

When it comes to high school, meh. I don't miss it and I certainly don't miss anyone I went to school with. I'm so indifferent to everyone and everything having to do with high school that I opted out of going to my 10 year reunion.