• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

I Made My 2nd Apple Pie Yesterday

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I made my second apple pie ever yesterday. Took me a full 3 and a half hours!

I used 8 fresh green apples and pealed and sliced them myself. That was probably the worst part. I ate all the peels too. :lol:

Making the crust wasn't as boring at least. I made it for a 10 inch pie pan so I had quite a bit of crust to make but in the end I had just enough for the crust and the top.

The good news is that it turned out pretty well. I liked it at least!

Have you ever made a pie before? How long does it usually take you?

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
3 1/2 hours? Did you use your finger nails to peel those apples?

I'm impressed that you even made the crust from scratch. Contrary to popular belief, I'm actually a pretty decent cook. I've made a few apples pies in my day, and they've all come out really tasty.
Of course, if any had taken me over 3 hours, I never would have made another.:shake:

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
3 and a half hours?:lol:
...Look at it this way, at least you enjoyed it and you were pleased with how it came out!:D
...Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that's how long it took me when I made my very first apple pie for my boyfriend's 16th Birthday... Don't know why he wanted an apple pie and not a cake, lol.

After years of practice and making several different pies and using different techniques, utensils, discovering shortcuts, finding new recipes or using old family ones, etc. time has shortened drastically for me and I'm sure once you get all of this kind of "stuff" under your belt, your pie-making times will shorten.:)

Bliss

Sally Twit
I prefer apple crumble to apple pie. I've helped my dad make one of those before. It usually took around two hours. Goes lovely with custard. :)

BigBob

Registered Member
Not counting the peeling the apples, it takes me probably 45 minutes to an hour to make and bake it. They are always pretty good when I make them. I love using a bunch of brown sugar.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well the reason it took so long was because:

1. I am terrible at slicing things. It takes me forever. I think that part alone took an hour and a half. :lol:

2. By the time I was ready to put the crust into the pie pan I realized I used the recipe for an 8 inch pan when I had a 10 inch pan. I had to go back and adjust everything and reroll it out so it would fit in the bigger pan.

3. It was only my 2nd time. I am by no means an expert haha. :lol:

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
Well the reason it took so long was because:

1. I am terrible at slicing things. It takes me forever. I think that part alone took an hour and a half. :lol:

2. By the time I was ready to put the crust into the pie pan I realized I used the recipe for an 8 inch pan when I had a 10 inch pan. I had to go back and adjust everything and reroll it out so it would fit in the bigger pan.

3. It was only my 2nd time. I am by no means an expert haha. :lol:
hey, At least you have 3 valid excuses! I, on the other hand, did not!:embarassed: (apart from it being the first time I had made an apple pie).:lol:

So, do you find that you're enjoying baking?:)
------
I prefer apple crumble to apple pie. I've helped my dad make one of those before. It usually took around two hours. Goes lovely with custard. :)
Making apple crumble is fun, it's one of my daughter's favorite desserts to make with me.:) Though I must admit, I'm not a huge custard fan like my husband and daughter is...(must be a British "thing":D), I much prefer to put a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some double cream on my apple crumble instead.

Have you made a strawberry and rhubarb crumble yet? :yummy:

Last edited:

Bliss

Sally Twit
Oooh strawberry with rhubarb? Sounds nice! I've had a plain rhubarb crumble before which was really good but never thought of adding any other fruit to it.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
Oooh strawberry with rhubarb? Sounds nice! I've had a plain rhubarb crumble before which was really good but never thought of adding any other fruit to it.

yeah, It's tasty.:)
...It has a sweet / tart taste to it. Strawberries and rhubarb definitely compliment one another well.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know how long it actually takes me, but I usually make sugar pie.

I do the crust first, then I take brown sugar, butter and some milk and mix it all together to make the brown sugar filling, then I put a crust on top after adding the brong sugar filling inside, then I break an egg take the yolk and break it up, take a brush and brush it on my top so it's nice and golden.

Sorry if it's a bit confusing, but it's real easy and tasty.