I know I know you, I don't know from where

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by ysabel, Sep 19, 2010.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

This happens to me sometimes. I have a good memory for recognising places/events/people that I've encountered but it's less easy to match them or place in time.

This was confirmed by a test I took on facebook, ok just kidding, I meant a short test that came from BBC's Science & Nature section: BBC - Science & Nature - Human Body and Mind - Face Memory Test

"The test assesses your ability to remember how long ago something happened - your 'temporal' memory. If you're tired you won't be as good at remembering when you saw or did something."

The test is in three parts (with 5 minute break in between):

Start here: Part 1 (1 - 2 minutes)
    Part 2 (1 - 2 minutes)
    Part 3 (3 - 4 minutes)

Feel free to share your test results and how it rates on general observation about yourself.

I wonder if the same principle works for names. I'm good with people's faces and remember I know them but I can't find their name in my head. That makes a really awkward social situation especially when you meet them randomly and introductions have to be made.

2. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm very good at remembering people and relate them to places. I have a strong visual memory and rarely am I mistaken.
    And even if I see the person in a flash [for a first time], chances are I'll still remember where I saw them.

..but I haven't taken the test yet so my answer is not as objective as it should be.
    ------
    Here's my score [taking in consideration that is 1:23am] :p

BBC - Science & Nature - Human Body and Mind - Face Memory Test

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  3. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I have really good memory. Especially for things I see and read. The only thing I have a bad memory for is when I listen to things and then try to remember them. So if you were to say a sentence to me and ask me to repeat it, I probably would mess it up. But if you show me a picture of something, or I read something, I'll still remember what it looks like the next day, or what it read. This is why I can remember so many details from my dreams =P I saw it, so I remember it. I also never get lost because I always recognize things I saw haha.

4. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I'm really good with faces. One thing I am not great at is remembering where/when I saw them before. This test proved that really.

Oh and I didn't wait five minutes in between. I'll try it again later and wait the five minutes.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

The link takes me to main page. Do you remember your score? If it's high, chances are you'd remember it, haha.
    ------
    So you're a visual person. Do you like to write down things?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  6. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

If i want to be sure that I'll remember it later, then yes, I right everything down. If i don't write it down, I dont remember. =P

7. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

It was the same as Bliss' score. lol.

8. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

I have a fairly good visual memory. I always find myself saying "I know that guy/girl". But I am not as good at remembering names though.

I've taken this test before and the score was similar (I got 98% for the temp memory score though). But I would say this is a fair test and is accurate for the most part.

[​IMG]

9. HalfEatenSurprise

HalfEatenSurprise Registered Member

BBC - Science & Nature - Human Body and Mind - Face Memory Test

This is my result. 62% if I saw, 100% when I saw.

As for recognising people, I suppose it would matter if they're important to you, or have some eye-catching relevance to you.

e.g. I bet every heterosexual male noticed the hot woman.

Although, I may have corrupted my own results because I was talking to someone during the breaks.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  10. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

100% / 87%

I have the TV on and my first break was 8 minutes, but my results are probably as well as I can do in any case.
    ------
    That's a bet you'd have lost. None of the pictures looked 'hot' to me.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010