I know I know you, I don't know from where

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
This happens to me sometimes. I have a good memory for recognising places/events/people that I've encountered but it's less easy to match them or place in time.

This was confirmed by a test I took on facebook, ok just kidding, I meant a short test that came from BBC's Science & Nature section: BBC - Science & Nature - Human Body and Mind - Face Memory Test

"The test assesses your ability to remember how long ago something happened - your 'temporal' memory. If you're tired you won't be as good at remembering when you saw or did something."

The test is in three parts (with 5 minute break in between):

Start here: Part 1 (1 - 2 minutes)
Part 2 (1 - 2 minutes)
Part 3 (3 - 4 minutes)

Feel free to share your test results and how it rates on general observation about yourself.

I wonder if the same principle works for names. I'm good with people's faces and remember I know them but I can't find their name in my head. That makes a really awkward social situation especially when you meet them randomly and introductions have to be made.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I'm very good at remembering people and relate them to places. I have a strong visual memory and rarely am I mistaken.
And even if I see the person in a flash [for a first time], chances are I'll still remember where I saw them.

..but I haven't taken the test yet so my answer is not as objective as it should be.
------
Here's my score [taking in consideration that is 1:23am] :p

BBC - Science & Nature - Human Body and Mind - Face Memory Test

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.

Face Memory Test Results

Your Score

Recognition score
( if you saw it )​

Your score: 100%
Average score: 92%
This is a measure of your ability to remember the photos you've seen, regardless of the part in which you saw them. From all 24 photos shown in Parts 1 & 2, you recognised: 24 photo(s).
Temporal memory score
( when you saw it )​

Your score: 95%
Average score: 68%
This is a measure of how often you recognised a photo and matched it to the correct part, instead of just remembering which ones you'd seen. From all the photos you recognised, you matched: 23 photo(s) to the correct part.

I have really good memory. Especially for things I see and read. The only thing I have a bad memory for is when I listen to things and then try to remember them. So if you were to say a sentence to me and ask me to repeat it, I probably would mess it up. But if you show me a picture of something, or I read something, I'll still remember what it looks like the next day, or what it read. This is why I can remember so many details from my dreams =P I saw it, so I remember it. I also never get lost because I always recognize things I saw haha.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I'm really good with faces. One thing I am not great at is remembering where/when I saw them before. This test proved that really.

Recognition score
( if you saw it )​

Your score: 100%
Average score: 92%
This is a measure of your ability to remember the photos you've seen, regardless of the part in which you saw them. From all 24 photos shown in Parts 1 & 2, you recognised: 24 photo(s).
Temporal memory score
( when you saw it )​

Your score: 75%
Average score: 68%
This is a measure of how often you recognised a photo and matched it to the correct part, instead of just remembering which ones you'd seen. From all the photos you recognised, you matched: 18 photo(s) to the correct part.
Oh and I didn't wait five minutes in between. I'll try it again later and wait the five minutes.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'm very good at remembering people and relate them to places. I have a strong visual memory and rarely am I mistaken.
And even if I see the person in a flash [for a first time], chances are I'll still remember where I saw them.

..but I haven't taken the test yet so my answer is not as objective as it should be.
------
Here's my score [taking in consideration that is 1:23am] :p

BBC - Science & Nature - Human Body and Mind - Face Memory Test
The link takes me to main page. Do you remember your score? If it's high, chances are you'd remember it, haha.
------
I have really good memory. Especially for things I see and read. The only thing I have a bad memory for is when I listen to things and then try to remember them. So if you were to say a sentence to me and ask me to repeat it, I probably would mess it up. But if you show me a picture of something, or I read something, I'll still remember what it looks like the next day, or what it read. This is why I can remember so many details from my dreams =P I saw it, so I remember it. I also never get lost because I always recognize things I saw haha.
So you're a visual person. Do you like to write down things?

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
------

So you're a visual person. Do you like to write down things?
If i want to be sure that I'll remember it later, then yes, I right everything down. If i don't write it down, I dont remember. =P

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I have a fairly good visual memory. I always find myself saying "I know that guy/girl". But I am not as good at remembering names though.

I've taken this test before and the score was similar (I got 98% for the temp memory score though). But I would say this is a fair test and is accurate for the most part.