I have to fire my Mom

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by SmilinSilhouette, Sep 20, 2010.

1. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

I had to give my Mom her 2 weeks notice today and it really bums me out. She has been working for me since she lost her last job about 2 years ago. I didn't really need her but my parents are retired in their late 70s and the extra money really helped them out. But this year my sales are at about 60% of last year and I have taken a pay cut on top of that, so I'm making less than half what I made last year. At this point I'm worried about paying my bills so I can no longer afford to pay her. Hopefully I can help her find a different part time job.

2. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Oh man, that is harsh. Especially since it's your mom. I hope she takes it well and is ok financially.

Good luck. Can't be easy to tell your mom that.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Sorry to hear about that SS, I'm sure it won't be easy telling her. I am pretty sure she'll understand though.

Hopefully you'll be able to find her another job. Good luck my friend.

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

dude, that really sucks. good luck.

SmilinSilhouette likes this.
  5. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

Dude, that really sucks. Sorry about that. I am sure she will understand though and be thankful for the time you did help them financially (by providing a job for her). That said, rather you than me. That is going to be tough.

Good luck!

6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Thats truly a bad deal and I absolutely feel and understand your pain.

I work for a 100% family owned and operated company. Earlier this year we had Me, My Dad, My Mom, My Sister, and My Fiance working here. Because gross sales were less than inside expenses the bank basically told us "Drop your overhead or we'll Drop your credit line". So my Sister and Fiance had to be laid off. It was one of the toughest things I've ever had to sit through.

We've let go of random secretaries and receptionists before and its nothing. But cutting back family is tough, real tough.

7. anmracing

anmracing Registered Member

Sorry to hear that you had to let her go..... It is horrible to have to let anyone go. You have to figure that it could be a possibility to let a family member go if you are the boss.

8. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

She took it well, she didn't cry thank god. She is aware that business hasn't been good this year for me and it wasn't like it is a huge suprise. She said "Your family has to come first" and I reminded her that they are my family too. That doesn't really make me feel any better about it though. I have a friend that has a delivery business and maybe she has a part time driver opening. Hopefully I can help Mom find something else to make some extra money to supplement their social security. We shall see.

Jeanie likes this.
  9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Glad that it went well Smillin, I'm sure it wasn't an easy task to do so. I really do hope that your mother will be able to find another part time position somewhere. Good luck to you and your mother.

10. kitchendame

kitchendame Registered Member

I think it's wonderful that you care so much about your parents. It must have been hard for you to go thru that.