I have seen Dragonball Evolution....

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Altanzitarron, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

Yes, I have seen the film that has been tormenting fans in their sleep for months. Had this film come out back when I was a massive Z fan I probably would have been completely outraged but now that those days are mainly over, it only left a bad taste.

Um I'm not sure how spoiler-ific I want to make this, for all I know there are some of you out there who are genuinely looking forward to seeing it. I guess I'll use the tags as I go along and let you guys decide how much you want to know.

Firstly I'll start on a positive, it is suprisingly easy to watch. It doesn't challenge you and so it is very easy going. However the subject matter is so lame and messed up that the ease of viewing probably wont add much comfort to most people. Oh and Chi Chi is pretty damn hot, that's about it for the pro's.

I know a lot of people were anxious that Goku would be very different to his anime counter part. This is true, he's been taken out of the wild and thrown into high school, he's socially awkward and lacks self confidence. However there are occasionally times when the care free innocence can be seen but it barely lasts longer than a second.

What seems to have happened is that the directer and writers have read a very brief summary of the Dragon ball mythos and attempted to create a workable story to last 1 hour and 20 minutes. However half way through they suffer a bit of an idenity crisis and decided that they'd rather make a film more like Spider-man and Power Rangers.

Spider-man because they are trying to make the audience relate to Goku by showing him as an insecure nerd, crippled with self doubt and often the laughing stock of the school jocks. Spider-man did this well, Dragonball evolution did not. Theres even a scene where he speaks to Gohan in a dream state almost identical to that of Spider-man 2.

Power Rangers because of some of the laugh out loud fight choreography but mainly because of Piccolo. Piccolo is basically a variant of the villains in the very first Power Rangers series.

It seems to me that if your ambitious enough to tackle an Anime series that is probably considered "unfilmable" by most then you'd better do your home work. It's very apparant that there isn't much love for the original manga / anime here.

As for plot, well it's a complete clusterfuck of the series. Heres a general list off the top of my head of stuff that just got changed under the creative license.
    Theres no mention of Piccolo's better half Kame.

The Oozaru is a servant of Piccolo, the word saiyan isn't used.

Goku becomes the oozaru in an eclipse instead of the full moon, no tail necessary.

No Krillen.

Yamcha doesn't fight, he just uses a gun along with Bulma.

Chi attacks are actually a form of air bending, like that Avatar show.

This one is probably the worst, a Kame-hame-ha wave can be used to revive someone.

Theres countless other things that aren't true to the source material but we all knew that based on the trailers anyway. The whole thing about goku being 18 etc just adds to how much this is Dragon ball in name only. Coupled with some awful CGI and horrendous acting, theres no way I can imagine any fan of dragon ball will be happy with what has been done.

Is it worth seeing? I think all of you who are going to see it already know that you are. Curiosity killed the cat or in this case curiosity makes the fan boy want to commit suicide. If your an old DB fan like myself, check it out and just laugh at how much they got it wrong. It does have some unintenionally hilarious scenes that almost make it worth it on some level.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009

2. Colour-Scientist

Colour-Scientist New Member

Damn, I was really looking forward to seeing it. I used to rush home to watch it after school when I was younger. I was the only girl I knew who liked it(nevermind loved it). All the boys at school talked about it but I wouldn't join in cause at that age it would have been high treason =)

3. Altanzitarron

Ha ha please don't let my thoughts ruin it for you. If you were looking forward to seeing it I urge you to still go and decide for yourself. Like I said earlier, it is bound to disappoint fans but there is some enjoyment you can take in almost ripping it apart haha. Besides you might find that you like it anyway.

4. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Did you pay to see the movie? With a review like that, and what I was expecting of the movie, I hope you didn't. But, that actually sounds exactly how I figured the movie would play out anyway. I don't think I'm going to even bother to see it.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

The more I think about it I am pretty sure I will just avoid this movie completely. Based on the spoilers you posted this movie sounds like nothing more than blasphemy, not to mention a terrible standalone movie too.

The thing that worries me the most is when the movie is seen by a lot of people and some of them list it on their MySpace and Facebook as their favorite movie ever. That will truly be a sad day... :shake:

6. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

The Manga group will be going just to see how crap it is; i didn't read the spoilers and i will give my two cents when i've seen it.

7. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

I watched it online because in no way is this movie worth paying to see.

But yeah. Terrible movie just like I said it would be. There was no redeeming factor whatsoever. I'm not even going to waste my time reviewing this movie. But if I did my score would easily be 1/10 or -2/5.

One more thing though. James Marsters and Justin Chatwin both want at least 7 installments into the series. If one wasn't bad enough. Here's the link btw: IGN: Dragonball Sequels Exclusive

8. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

Brix, It bothers you that much that there are people who like movies you don't?

9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Not exactly. It just bothers me that the anime series was awesome, and from what I've heard most fans of the anime will hate the movies. The only people who like it will be people who have never watched the anime and that is a depressing thought. If they only knew how much better if could have been. Right?

10. Altanzitarron

No way, I'd never spend my cash on something that I was so convinced would suck.

In the version you saw, was the first 10 minutes missing? Mine also didn't have the
    end scene of piccolo surviving that must come after the credits.

As for the sequels I doubt they'll get passed 3. This is really annoying though, if they knew they were gonna do 3 they could easily do a truer adaptation and expand on Nameks and Saiyans. It would be useful info for the series but they are obviously just writing as they go along.

It's possible but this is where I think they've really pissed on their chips. Dragonball Evolution's mass appeal is bound to be to people who are already aquainted with the anime. It's nowhere near deep enough to appeal to the fans but it's not shallow enough to appeal to a completely new audience. In their attempt to appeal to both markets they have probably failed to please either. It's bound to impress some kids but that's it. Maybe reviews of this one will set the sequels on a better path but I can't imagine I'll ever get to see Trunks cut Frieza in half in live action.