• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

I have joined the light side

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I bought a Mac Pro yesterday. It's quite a bit better than my old PC I had and I've already installed Windows on it. In fact, I'm typing this post from Windows from within the Mac OS via Parallels.

It's a 2.66GHz 8 core setup with 20GB of DDR3 RAM in it currently. Needless to say, it is pretty fast. I hated it at first due to the fact that the cursor moved differently from Windows but with a few free shareware programs I was able to get it at about 98% similarity to the Windows cursor feel.

I haven't done much on it yet. In fact I've spent more time in Windows 7 on the Mac than I have with the Mac OS. I have a dual monitor setup going with Windows 7 on one screen and Snow Leopard (or whatever the latest one is) on the left. It's cool because I can move the cursor between both screens easily and it's literally going from Windows to a Mac with one move of the mouse. It's probably not quite the best of both worlds though. I could have definitely built a better PC for the money this cost, but this at least gives me access to Mac software as well.

So yes, I've officially joined the light side.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It's cool because I can move the cursor between both screens easily and it's literally going from Windows to a Mac with one move of the mouse. It's probably not quite the best of both worlds though.
Holy crap that's awesome. I can definitely see the benefits of that but isn't it a bit of a RAM hog? I'm sure you have an awesome video card that can balance it out.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm sure it's somewhat of a RAM hob but so far I haven't noticed any slowdown. Granted, 20 GB of DDR3 will take quite a bit of abuse before stalling. It's cool though because I could have both screens be Windows 7 if I wanted to. It's great when Windows says I have to reboot though. Since it's virtual it's about a 5 second process. :)

One thing I haven't figure out how to do though is network the virtual Windows 7 with my other Windows 7 computer so I can move files. I'm able to join the workgroup but I don't see my other computers in it and vise versa. I have internet access on the Mac OS as well as the Windows 7 virtual but I can't seem to get either networked with my other PC's.