I hate it when WWE superstars comment on Jack Swagger's lisp

Not trying to be oversensitive here, it just annoys me whenever I see another person comment on somebody else's downfall.

I honestly didn't know Jack Swagger had a lisp until MVP commented on it last night. When he did, I noticed that Jack did had a lisp and was sort of shocked that MVP would comment on it. I understand making fun of an outfit or something you can help, but Jack can't help that he has a lisp.

The same thing happened when Zack Gowen was on SmackDown! and you had comments from Big Show and Brock Lesnar that made you feel bad for the kid.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
If they wanted to work in a business where people would be sensitive to their conditions or problems, they certainly chose poorly.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
To be honest with you I think it's part of the gimmick, I don't believe he actually as a lisp, but that's just my personal opinion. With that being said Swagger knows their not actually serious when they joke about it.

Hiei

The Hierophant
I have a lisp. Seriously.

I'm always very aware of when I mispronounce words, probably more so than anyone else. All throughout my school career, I had speech therapy and most of my lisp has gone away, but there are still certain sounds that no matter how much I practice, they just won't go away. I'm not a very shy person, and not much gets to me on a personal level, but whenever anyone points out my lisp, I get really embarrassed and I either lash out or I shut down.

I don't think it's right that they should be allowed to comment on his lisp. Like Vilky said, it's one thing to make fun of someone for their costume or their wrestling character, but to make fun of their lisp is really attacking them on a personal level that has nothing to do with wrestling. I'm not saying that the wrestlers that do make fun of people with a lisp should be reprimanded or fined, but I think they should just certainly cut it out. After all, wrestlers with lisps aren't the only ones that are being made fun of when another wrestler makes fun of someone with a lisp.

If I had seen MVP make fun of Jack Swaggers lisp, I would have been pissed for him, too.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Obviously Vilky is a not a constant ECW viewer because Christian has been making fun of him and his lisp for months prior to MVP doing it last night.

Its one of those things where I'm extremely confident that he was asked beforehand if it would be okay for them to make fun of. I think thats just how he is and its not a gimmick...he has a lisp and they are exploiting it. If Swagger was against them mentioning it and making fun of it then I would hope he'd say something about it.

Until that point I dont care either way what they say about it.

And Vilky, you really didnt notice? It's pretty obvious, lol.
------
One example...

YouTube - Funny Jack Swagger Video

And then this one is even worse...

YouTube - ECW Christian Cage Returns!!!

Last edited:
And Vilky, you really didnt notice? It's pretty obvious, lol.
I guess I'm not that very observant when it comes to that. =P

I think I'm more annoyed that MVP did it as a face. If he was a heel, and got boo'd because of it I would be more willing to accept it. Swagger, as a heel, AND getting ribbed because of this real life problem just doesn't... um, fit well with me.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think that's it either... Think about somebody with a lisp in the audience trying to enjoy the show when all of the sudden he/she is now self-conscious since somebody brought it up. Sort of takes the fun out of enjoying the show when you're thinking about your issue. Since the show is PG (hopefully going PG-13) maybe they should be a little bit weary on what they say.

Yeah, I am being oversensitive about this. Oh well, that's the route I'm gonna take. =D

Last edited:

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
What about Christian doing it then? It was pretty much the first thing he said when debuting back whenever that was. People in the crowd would spell his name Sshwagger and things like that. Its not going away haha

What about Christian doing it then? It was pretty much the first thing he said when debuting back whenever that was. People in the crowd would spell his name Sshwagger and things like that. Its not going away haha
The first video was just disturbing and disgusting. I understand making fun of something you can change, but you can't get rid of a lisp. That was just... awful.

As for Christian, you're right, I haven't been watching ECW back when Christian returned. This is the first I saw of it, and I still think it's harsh to do a promo - or anything for that matter - to capitalize off another persons impediment.

A lisp might not be as bad as an amputation, but it is still bothersome to use it. The fantasy element of the WWE is taken away from me because they are pulling real shots at each other now.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
The first video was just disturbing and disgusting. I understand making fun of something you can change, but you can't get rid of a lisp. That was just... awful.

As for Christian, you're right, I haven't been watching ECW back when Christian returned. This is the first I saw of it, and I still think it's harsh to do a promo - or anything for that matter - to capitalize off another persons impediment.

A lisp might not be as bad as an amputation, but it is still bothersome to use it. The fantasy element of the WWE is taken away from me because they are pulling real shots at each other now.
Yeah the first one was just some dumbass who created a video...Christian, on the other day, was obviously attacking him for his speech inpediment.

Like I said I dont think they would have done it if Swagger really had a problem with it.