i got a new car to pimp...cause i'm ballin

raye_raye

my bologna has a 1st name
yey.
I got a new car. some of you may recall some prev threads on my car (jump in the rain, tire pop, ect...) well i have retired betsy and so now i have a new lady in my life her name is brandy. brandy is a 2004 chevy cavalier.

(thats not her, its just what she looks like)
so any how I wanna get a radio in her and I have been adviced to go with polk speakers, so I am, but with ccity I can get deals on radios and I wanna go with and Eclipse CD3200. Anyone know anything spec about it? It's an 08 model and not released in our store yet so I can't listen to it. We have the sister model the CD3100 and its good but i like the CD3200 better....

this is the CD3200

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
You named your car lol. :D

Nice, Cavaliers are good cars. Good to see you got a new one. I remember you making some threads about car trouble recently so hopefully you won't have any problems with this one for a while.

MVP is also ballin' (- WWE, SmackDown! reference)

Congratulations on your new car! Pick me up sometime so we can go Pirating around the neighborhood.

raye_raye

yes brandy is pretty awesome...espec when i'm inside of her... XD

vilk we can pirate around anytime shug...let me hook my gps and I'm there...
*in robotic voice-- 'To destination vilks, continue forward, take next available legal right turn'*

TimmehD

Registered Member
As far as speakers, I wouldn't go with Polk because their longevity is somewhat minimal and the sound quality isn't as good as what it could be. I would recommend Infinity (Particularly), Pioneer, or Alpine. All 3 very good name brands that aren't too expensive to buy some good mid-loudspeakers.

What is your budget?

As far as your head-unit, I haven't heard much about Eclipse, but Pioneer makes amazing head-units and Sony's HUs are amazing (The older models, that is). If you're really serious about getting an aftermarket stereo, I can help you out from my experience. Also, I would highly recommend you buy from online wholesalers, you'll save so much money.

raye_raye

i'm buying from ccity cause I get whats called an accomidation sale and my installation is free...so as for speakers we have pioneer and polk (and more) but all of my installers say I should go with polk. I'm not going into a 'serious' system meaning I am not going to go with amps and subs...I just need something cause my whole left hand side speakers are much weaker than my right side, so i need to go aftermarket.

as far as hu's go, pioneer does make an outstanding hu but this is where me being a girl comes to play...they are just so plain looking... the eclipse cd3100 i like but its green and the elipse cd3200 i like, its blue and got bluetooth... I looked at the sony hu's but my installers say that unless i get sony speakers the sony hu will sound like shit... any comments?

TimmehD

Registered Member
i'm buying from ccity cause I get whats called an accomidation sale and my installation is free...so as for speakers we have pioneer and polk (and more) but all of my installers say I should go with polk. I'm not going into a 'serious' system meaning I am not going to go with amps and subs...I just need something cause my whole left hand side speakers are much weaker than my right side, so i need to go aftermarket.

as far as hu's go, pioneer does make an outstanding hu but this is where me being a girl comes to play...they are just so plain looking... the eclipse cd3100 i like but its green and the elipse cd3200 i like, its blue and got bluetooth... I looked at the sony hu's but my installers say that unless i get sony speakers the sony hu will sound like shit... any comments?
Do you have an iPod? If so I'd highly suggest you buy a HU that is iPod Ready and then buy the cord for it. It's so nice to able to play your iPod so easily in your car. Ugh, I wish I was there, it'd be so much easier to see what I'm working with and I want to install it. =P

raye_raye

i actually don't, my phone is my mp3 player, and with bluetooth my phone will play wirelessly through the cd3200... so bluetooth is kind of a necessacity(sp)

understanding about how you cna't see what your working with, but what would you like to see i can get pictures of everything...or anything...

-thanks for your input and help-

do you have any other recommendations for hu? Do you not like eclipse or what? i think i missed that part...

TimmehD

Registered Member
i actually don't, my phone is my mp3 player, and with bluetooth my phone will play wirelessly through the cd3200... so bluetooth is kind of a necessacity(sp)
First off, does your phone come with Bluetooth 1.2?

If not, then you'll be unable to play music through the stereo.

This is a minor problem, most new phones come with 1.2 but it's always good to check before you spend your money.

understanding about how you cna't see what your working with, but what would you like to see i can get pictures of everything...or anything...
No, no, I've got what I need. If I'm not mistaken you should have 4 6x9 speakers which is pretty standard on most cars. However, will you be able to put an aftermarket head-unit in there? I know that my car particularly required an expensive mounting kit specifically for my model to be able to mount an aftermarket single-layered HU.

Just another expense to consider.

-thanks for your input and help-

do you have any other recommendations for hu? Do you not like eclipse or what? i think i missed that part...
You're very welcome, I am horrible inefficient when it comes to tuning cars but I know the electrical aspect quite well.

No, I don't have a problem with Eclipse, I'd just said that I hadn't heard much about them. Though, I called a friend who I thought had one (He did, but he upgraded a few months ago because he's a rich mofo :stare:). He had the exact same model as you and said it worked great. He did point out two things particularly, though. First, the manual is horrible and hardly explains anything other than just a glance so if you get it make sure your installation technician shows you how to work it and working with Bluetooth can be tricky at first.

I feel more comfortable recommending this unit through my friend since he's generally knowledgeable about this stuff and knows his products.

As far as speakers...wow, that's a nice deal with the FireDog installation. My first system cost me about $300 to have installed, which was such a waste of money and what inspired me to learn to do it myself. I can't see their selection online, really, so I'd go with what they suggest most likely.