Movies I Finally Watched Blade Runner...

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Altanzitarron, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

People are often suprised that, being the big sci-fi geek I am, I'd never seen Blade Runner. I finally decided to put an end to the madness and ordered the "Final Cut" Edition DVD. It was good, I can see why it has such a high status in the Sci-fi genre. I think I would've appreciated it more if I'd actually seen it a long time ago.

Since watching it, I've been reading about the whole "Is Deckard a replicant?" debate. It seems a lot of people have put time into arguing cases for and against this. In the version I watched, there were no obvious implications that he was but apparantly in older ones there are several. Including some of his monologue lines that were removed from The Final Cut.

This is probably an oldie for most of you but does anyone care to take a trip back in time to discuss this sci-fi, Noir hybridised epic?

2. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I enjoyed watching it, but overall, I much preferred reading Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

3. Altanzitarron

Yeah, I've heared the book is good. Am I right in thinking the film is only losely based on it?

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

very loosely. It's difficult to make a Phillip Dick novel into a movie. Total Recall was loosely based on his short story We Can Remember It For You Wholesale.

I like the original release of Blade Runner more than the Director's Cut because I liked Harrison Ford's narration. The story line is secondary for me, I love the feel of this movie.

The only reason to think that Deckard was a replicant is because one of them was never accounted for, but I thought that was Rachel? Maybe it's been too long since the last time I saw it. What other arguments are there in support of Deckard being a replicant?

5. Nevyrmoore

Some sequences are similar, but for the most part, it is a loose adaptation. I can't exactly remember all the differences, though, it's been several years since I last read it. But from memory, the story follows both Deckard, and a "chickenhead" called J.R. Isidore. Deckard's side has him hunting down the replicants, while Isidore's side has him interacting with said replicants.

Deckard is married, and as such, the Final Cut ending never occurs. Let's just say it involves an amphibian. Though speaking of that, animals also come into play in regards to the state Earth is in. Animal life is pretty damn scarce. And because of that, those that remain are extremely expensive, leading to humans on Earth now keeping animals as status symbols as well as pets. Those who can't afford it get artificial animals instead. Case in point, at the beginning, you see that Deckard has an electric sheep to replace the real one that died.

That's honestly all I can remember. I don't know if the graphic novel series stays true to the book, but I'm starting to go through that.

Interestingly, I just found out that there was a set of novels that actually serve as sequels to the film, written by K. W. Jeter. They're official and authorised, and are called Blade Runner 2: The Edge of Human, Blade Runner 3: Replicant Night, and Blade Runner 4: Eye and Talon.

6. Altanzitarron

This site lists most of the argument from both sides. 14. Is Deckard a replicant? (Blade Runner)

I was a bit disappointed that the narration wasn't in my version. That's such a staple of the Noir genre that it seems strange it got omitted in the Final Cut.

7. Nevyrmoore

Now I wonder if the sequels have that whole Deckard being a replicant argument...

8. Poetosis

Poetosis Registered Member

I would like to pick up the books some day. All this university work is getting in the way, however...

I like Blade Runner, primarily because I was one of the individuals that watched it when I was younger. Perhaps I never understood it properly, but it still remains one of my first real science-fiction appearances.

Like Hard-Boiled, the film has qualities that make me respect it for establishing the science-ficton movie franchises of the future. Otherwise it is an average film. Some soliloquy would have been wonderful in the film.

9. kitchendame

kitchendame Registered Member

Wow...I loved "Blade Runner" and thought Ford's narration created just the right touch of noir to complement the film. I also felt Rutger Hauer's portrayal of the replicant (whose name escapes me, it's been a few years) was near-perfect, a true classic monster, frightening but pitiful, too. Ridley Scott's direction underscored Hauer's acting and made the replicant's end even more poignant. But never once did it ever occur to me to ask myself if Deckard was a replicant himself. What a cool idea.

10. twilitezone911

twilitezone911 Registered Member

when it first came out, i thought the movie was ok, and years ago, i saw it again, it still ok ! i am not a big fan !