I finally bought ESIV: Oblivion

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by viLky, Jul 19, 2009.

1. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Took me awhile since I didn't want to dish out $60 for the game. I'd rather wait until the price dropped to $20. So, I did, and wow, this game is great! In other games you can take on 2-5 bad guys and be fine (which I can't stand), but in this game it's more realistic where if you even take on one it's a challenge. I'm very pleased!

The problem I have (which is my fault) is I can't decide WHAT I want to play. I tried a Warrior combo; it wasn't my cup of tea, and then an Archer; which is fun, but I don't always feel like finding a good spot to defend myself. Sometimes I feel like the old hack and slash and moving on. It's tough to settle on a character and it feels like I'm re-rolling what I want to play everyday. Heh. What characters did you settle on?

Oh, a fun story: while I was roaming around I decided to go into this building and look around. Well, I went up stairs and saw some items I'd thought to take. Bad idea! The people caught me and the guards were summoned. I had no dough to pay the bribe, so I resisted, and whoa... what a battle! They wouldn't even let me flee the city when I ran for the gates. Do I need to do something special to steal stuff without them watching me or something? Arg, yeah, I died. Pretty good chase, though.

Yeah, an amazing game and I'm glad the reviews are so positive. Very great. Now, I just need to decide what to play: Archer, Warrior, a stealth dude, Mage... hmm... The possibilities! And to stick with it. >.<;

Steer and Hybrix have Oblivion topics, though I just want to know HOW you guys settled on a character to play with - in general, not just in Oblivion. I ALWAYS go through this when I play in MMORPG games or games where you can select different characters. I always end up re-rolling my character five, six times before I decide what I want. They all look good and I wanna try them all, but I'm making no progress. :boat:

The question: How you settled on a character to play with - in general, not just in Oblivion - when the game gives you choices?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009

2. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

No, I've never stayed with one character. I like to see how things can be done differently, and I like to see if I can improve upon previous custom classes.

As for what classes I go for, I always choose to create a custom one, and what I'll play as always varies. At the moment I'm playing as a custom Paladin, last time I played a custom assassin. I think at one point I played a custom monk modelled after such figures as the Shaoulin monks, but in order to pull that off, I needed to install a modification in order to make Hand-to-Hand combat useful. Reason for this follows...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I was thinking about a Monk, too; didn't know that Monks were not on par with the other classes. It would be fun to make one and have it called Chuck Norris. =D

I think I settled on Wood Elf (Female, 'cuz I hear they get better speed while males get better endurance) Archer. Why? I was testing out an Archer and came upon a deer. I had to chase after it, and when it was running away I launched an arrow right into it's head. Awesome! It felt good to kill this e-deer. Oblivion is now my official hunting game as well.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I settled on a warrior by default because that's how I roll.

However I'm currently trying to play through as a battle mage type. It's slightly hard.

:D

5. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

Wait till you get the Ilusion magic mastered, and it will get really easy ^^

6. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

Haha same thing happened to me; tried to talk to someone and accidently attacked instead. The guard wanted to drag me to prison and thought 'Heck I can take this guy.' Yeah I got served :lol:

Anywho, I went through a few characters with warrior, stealth and mage attributes to test out the different styles of combat that suit me. I settled on a High Elf mage a master in destruction and illusion. Casting invisablility and pelting the enemy with an area damge spell is more my style.

7. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

Yeah, paralyse and invisibility\chameo makes you a god in the game

8. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I need someone to help me with one part in Kvatch because I'm suppose to follow Berich Inian but he DISAPPEARED. lol. I just picked this game up yesterday.. traded Final Fantasy 7 for it and GTA 4.. and the dude threw in Madden 08 lol

9. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

I have a Nord Warrior, a Breton Mage, and a Kahjiit Thief.

I don' think it reeeally matters what you pick initially, since, as far as I can tell, you can master every skill in the game with enough time.