I finally bought ESIV: Oblivion

Took me awhile since I didn't want to dish out $60 for the game. I'd rather wait until the price dropped to $20. So, I did, and wow, this game is great! In other games you can take on 2-5 bad guys and be fine (which I can't stand), but in this game it's more realistic where if you even take on one it's a challenge. I'm very pleased!

The problem I have (which is my fault) is I can't decide WHAT I want to play. I tried a Warrior combo; it wasn't my cup of tea, and then an Archer; which is fun, but I don't always feel like finding a good spot to defend myself. Sometimes I feel like the old hack and slash and moving on. It's tough to settle on a character and it feels like I'm re-rolling what I want to play everyday. Heh. What characters did you settle on?

Oh, a fun story: while I was roaming around I decided to go into this building and look around. Well, I went up stairs and saw some items I'd thought to take. Bad idea! The people caught me and the guards were summoned. I had no dough to pay the bribe, so I resisted, and whoa... what a battle! They wouldn't even let me flee the city when I ran for the gates. Do I need to do something special to steal stuff without them watching me or something? Arg, yeah, I died. Pretty good chase, though.

Yeah, an amazing game and I'm glad the reviews are so positive. Very great. Now, I just need to decide what to play: Archer, Warrior, a stealth dude, Mage... hmm... The possibilities! And to stick with it. >.<;

Steer and Hybrix have Oblivion topics, though I just want to know HOW you guys settled on a character to play with - in general, not just in Oblivion. I ALWAYS go through this when I play in MMORPG games or games where you can select different characters. I always end up re-rolling my character five, six times before I decide what I want. They all look good and I wanna try them all, but I'm making no progress. :boat:

The question: How you settled on a character to play with - in general, not just in Oblivion - when the game gives you choices?

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
No, I've never stayed with one character. I like to see how things can be done differently, and I like to see if I can improve upon previous custom classes.

As for what classes I go for, I always choose to create a custom one, and what I'll play as always varies. At the moment I'm playing as a custom Paladin, last time I played a custom assassin. I think at one point I played a custom monk modelled after such figures as the Shaoulin monks, but in order to pull that off, I needed to install a modification in order to make Hand-to-Hand combat useful. Reason for this follows...

Hand to Hand was sorely lacking at release. Its range is very short, its damage can't hold a candle to powerful weapons, its rate of block was half of wielded weapons and the player cannot use gauntlets to add offensive on-hit spell effects as with every other weapon. Now, hand to hand damage max is higher, its rate of block also went up (although still lower than that for weapons), it has a longer reach and its staggering chance while blocking was adjusted upwards.

Last edited:
I think at one point I played a custom monk modeled after such figures as the Shaoulin monks, but in order to pull that off, I needed to install a modification in order to make Hand-to-Hand combat useful. Reason for this follows...
I was thinking about a Monk, too; didn't know that Monks were not on par with the other classes. It would be fun to make one and have it called Chuck Norris. =D

I think I settled on Wood Elf (Female, 'cuz I hear they get better speed while males get better endurance) Archer. Why? I was testing out an Archer and came upon a deer. I had to chase after it, and when it was running away I launched an arrow right into it's head. Awesome! It felt good to kill this e-deer. Oblivion is now my official hunting game as well.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I settled on a warrior by default because that's how I roll.

However I'm currently trying to play through as a battle mage type. It's slightly hard.

:D

Haha same thing happened to me; tried to talk to someone and accidently attacked instead. The guard wanted to drag me to prison and thought 'Heck I can take this guy.' Yeah I got served :lol:

Anywho, I went through a few characters with warrior, stealth and mage attributes to test out the different styles of combat that suit me. I settled on a High Elf mage a master in destruction and illusion. Casting invisablility and pelting the enemy with an area damge spell is more my style.

BigBob

Registered Member
I need someone to help me with one part in Kvatch because I'm suppose to follow Berich Inian but he DISAPPEARED. lol. I just picked this game up yesterday.. traded Final Fantasy 7 for it and GTA 4.. and the dude threw in Madden 08 lol

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
The question: How you settled on a character to play with - in general, not just in Oblivion - when the game gives you choices?
I have a Nord Warrior, a Breton Mage, and a Kahjiit Thief.

I don' think it reeeally matters what you pick initially, since, as far as I can tell, you can master every skill in the game with enough time.