I don't understand Anime.

Yeah, I'd never really heard all that much about it until I came to GF. I really didn't except to see such a huuge amount of people who love it and watch it daily. I don't get the appeal whatsoever! I don't even know how it's shown, like episodes and are they the same characters etc it all just confuses me. I typed in some anime episode that was mentioned on GF in to youtube once and thought 'wtf.'

Am I alone here :lol:? and for those of you that do watch it.. what's the appeal? explaain!

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm in the same boat. I dont care for the art style, its respectable dont get me wrong. Obviously they are doign something right to get that much of a cult following. But I've always been a fan of the Marvel & DC Comics. If I wanted Cartoons I turned to Looney Toons. Anime has never been my bag either, so trust me you're not alone.

WesJones87

RayzorBlade87
Yeah, you're not alone, I don't really 'get it' either. I have watched some, but Western versions like Pokemon or Street Fighter II: The Movie, or even Sonic the Movie. I once tried to watch Akira because some college friends were raving about it, but it just didn't appeal to me.

But hey, we can't all like the same things, can we?

Hiei

The Hierophant
Anime is like the soap operas of drawn television. I don't use the word cartoons, because like Ice said, cartoons normally triggers the thought of Looney Toons in people's heads. If you really want to understand any anime, you almost always have to see it from the beginning.

Anime is generally a long ass story, and if you just happen to watch some random episode, it'd be like watching a ten min clip, fourty mins into a 2.5 hour long movie. You're just not going to understand anything about it. And they have the same characters, character development, injuries that'll last through a few episodes, and such. Cartoons, on the other hand, are normally only their 20 min segment and that's it. Just different episodes with different plot lines, and nothing connecting the episodes other than the main characters.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Well, It depends from person to person, but i tell you this, its not the same thing as watching Spider-man or x-man.

Anime is more mature, well there are exeptions of course, but overall you can find all sorts of fantasy tales with a good complex storyline to follow, its a cultural experience, characters often represent a viewpoint different of a normal western citizen.

Artwork and character design, often they represent something stunning and you will always find something to contemplate, it has a more artistic aproach than most cartoons.

Magical, the worlds created by some studios, even if the story is simple, its full of heart and warmth (note, miyazaki movies) Imagine a really good disney movie, exept all the singing and emotional cheesiness atached to it.

As to me, usually the shows i watch are more violent, phsycological, often involves phylosophy, religion, twisted ethics and morals. Îts a rush of adrenaline you wont find in any other kind of show.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
If I depended on the anime shown on our telly here, I don't think I'd be watching it either. I usually zap them. :lol:

I started with movies I bought. They're shorter and there's no need to follow an entire series especially if you don't have the time to dedicate to it. Then I moved to series. I do a lot of reading (reviews/summaries) to see if the genre or the plot would interest me. I treat it pretty much the same as I treat non-anime shows. I know that there are things I won't bother watching, but it doesn't mean that all shows/movies are like those. :)

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I really wish I was into them, because some of them have such interesting and complex story lines, that I know I would be entertained and love it.

However, for some reason or another...I'm not into animation. I've considered trying to watch some anyway and see if it grew on me.

However, for some reason or another...I'm not into animation. I've considered trying to watch some anyway and see if it grew on me.
That could also be from suspension of disbelief. Some people get thrown out of cartoons or anime because of things like they can't get into a story and forget reality if it's in a cartoon, etc.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
That could also be from suspension of disbelief. Some people get thrown out of cartoons or anime because of things like they can't get into a story and forget reality if it's in a cartoon, etc.
Maybe so. I know that I don't like animated movies either, unless they are geared towards children, so you may be on to something there.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Anime is more mature, well there are exeptions of course, but overall you can find all sorts of fantasy tales with a good complex storyline to follow, its a cultural experience, characters often represent a viewpoint different of a normal western citizen.
I'd say the "more mature" thing is just stereotypical, that most anime is pretty zany and it's not "more mature" as a whole, it's merely a different style. I do however agree that it is a cultural experience. I think that also shows why people think anime is more "mature" because Japanese consumers want deeper stories (sometimes) and see animation as more of an art form than we do and judging from the quote below, you agree with this.

Artwork and character design, often they represent something stunning and you will always find something to contemplate, it has a more artistic aproach than most cartoons.
For the most part, yes they're more artistic.

Magical, the worlds created by some studios, even if the story is simple, its full of heart and warmth (note, miyazaki movies) Imagine a really good disney movie, exept all the singing and emotional cheesiness atached to it.
See, Miyazaki was always a bit strange to me, I never really got reeled into any of those films. Also, I don't know why singing and emotions are considered "cheesy" since one, emotions are overdone in most animes and two, singing is part of the western culture's take on animation. If you're going to appreciate anime, you should at least understand the west.

As to me, usually the shows i watch are more violent, phsycological, often involves phylosophy, religion, twisted ethics and morals. Îts a rush of adrenaline you wont find in any other kind of show.
Oh you certainly can, there's just not as big of an animation business for that here in the states.