I don't love you

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by Bliss, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

If you were involved with someone but you weren't that serious about them yet, how would you react if they said, "I love you."
    Would you say it back even if you didn't mean it? Would you tell them you didn't love them yet, or would you say something else?

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I think as a Guy it may be a little easier to go about that saying that. Naturally most guys are expected to be pigheaded and obviously not the smartest cookies in the box. So the trick I always used was pretty much just say (which is the truth in my opinion) "I dont like to just toss that phrase around. It gets used so much and seems as though its just lost its meaning ya know? When I tell someone I love 'em I want them to know its Genuine, so I'm sorry if I dont say it all that often. But when I do I'll want you to know its as real as it can be". Then from there that beautiful speech usually led to tears of "oh he's so romantic, he's so traditional, why cant more guys be like him". LOL but then again prior to Kim I always dated really stupid girls :hah:

Bliss likes this.
  3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Depends on how you feel about love. Personally, it'd scare the hell out of me if some girl just decided she loved me after knowing me for a week or even a month. Something like love, to me, takes time to develop and understand. I waited five months before I told my girlfriend (and amusingly, she said it at the same time I did).

Not to mention, someone who's going to throw that phrase out there so quickly kind of gives you a vibe that they either don't value love very highly since they're basically saying it just to say it or they aren't careful enough to be sure.

4. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

If someone said that that they loved me, I'm not even sure what my response would be. I'd actually probably just stare blankly at them until the awkward silence was broken with the sound of her hand smacking off of my face for not saying anything.

Actually, I had an ex that said she loved me. I told her "that's awesome." And she stared at me like I was supposed to say it back. But I'm with Ice. I feel that the word love is so commonly used that it's lost it's true meaning. And most people can't seem to distinguish between love and lust, anyway. I'd rather just not say that I love someone.

5. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I had a guy break up with me for that very reason. He told me he loved me and I responded with "That's cute." Not the best response cause he flipped.

I have been known to pass out the phrase "I love everything that I know about you." Well only if it is true.. I am with Ice I don't just pass out "I love you" to just anyone. I am not going to date you for a week and be in love.. it just isn't going to happen. I have had to come up with something for every guy I have dated because they have all said it way before I was ready to, and most of them I never said it too. I think people mix up love and just being really happy quite often.

6. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I can't guarantee it, but I really hope I'll never say it unless I mean it. I'd find that so awkward, probably end up saying something like "really?" or whatever.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Registered Member

Yea im the same. Love is a big word to use, and the phrase "i love you" does get thrown around alot, so when i say it to a girl i want to be honest and have as much meaning behind those words as i can. And thats exactly what i would say to her.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I dread that. Sometimes I can feel when it's coming and I have to prepare my neutral face. I just say, "I know" or "Thanks". I can't bring myself to say I love you to someone I don't love.

The funny thing is, I find it easier to tell casual friends because the phrase has less serious meaning (and implications). But in a relationship, I cannot casually say it unless I mean it.

9. Anthony1975

Anthony1975 Registered Member

If it was me I wouldn't reply when they said it if I didn't quite feel the same.

10. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

When I was younger, I probably would have said it just to avoid an uncomfortable situation. As I have had more experience, I would not. I would say something like...that is sweet, or maybe a joking...I can see why you do! if I was trying to lighten the mood. I may be more abrupt if I had no intentions of seeing the relationship any further.