I Don't Hate My Job, But...

Pepper

Registered Member
I don't actually hate my job, but I really can't stand the people who I'm working with; especially the management. The industry I work in seems to have the same pattern almost in every company. What can I do to make my working experience at least bearable?

Sophia

Registered Member
How bad do you need the money? Badly? You'll find a way to make it work. If not so badly, then look around for another job. The hierarchy may be the same but in a new job but the people may be easier to work with. You'll never know till you try.

Pepper

Registered Member
How bad do you need the money? Badly? You'll find a way to make it work. If not so badly, then look around for another job. The hierarchy may be the same but in a new job but the people may be easier to work with. You'll never know till you try.
Yes, the problem is that I really need the money unfortunately. As much as I try to be distant and try to ignore the people, sometimes it just gets to me. I am trying to look for jobs in other industries. I hope I will find something soon.

Sophia

Registered Member
I hope you find something soon Pepper. There's nothing worse than dreading to go to work every morning. I was in a similar situation once and ended up quitting with no job to go to. Not a good situation. Keep us posted.

Interis

Registered Member
I feel you. When the management is being a pain, it's really hard to enjoy what we're doing. Is there any change possibly coming soon? For example, the directors may change, new policies are being prepared which will benefit the employees more, and so on. Quitting is easy, but finding a new work these days is really hard.

Impaired

Registered Member
I love what I do but I currently hate those in charge. It was a good company with different people running it when I started. It was organized, it was honest.

Now it is neither. The problem is that I like the clients I take care of. I solve problems for a living and it makes me feel good to show up at a client, fix everything that is wrong and leave them smiling.

It is harder and harder to do with complete assholes running the show.

I'm 57 - not an ideal age for job hunting.

Interis

Registered Member
@Impaired I respect your choice. I agree that it's already too far to change unless you're thinking about working from home (with the online business, investment, and the popular things these days).

Life is about compromises. I've only been doing my job for 2 years but I can already feel the burn. It's hard to imagine the decades to come if not for the small joy we get while working. Your job sounds important, so thanks for holding on!

Impaired

Registered Member
@Impaired I respect your choice. I agree that it's already too far to change unless you're thinking about working from home (with the online business, investment, and the popular things these days).

Life is about compromises. I've only been doing my job for 2 years but I can already feel the burn. It's hard to imagine the decades to come if not for the small joy we get while working. Your job sounds important, so thanks for holding on!
I'm a network engineer. I get to do some great work. 2 days a week I am assigned to work at a satellite company - my first day there NASA called my cell phone and I got to troubleshoot a problem with the folks from the Goddard space center.

I fix problems. I love doing that. My clients appreciate my work. They are the only reason I haven't quit.

Impaired

Registered Member
So last week, because the owner fired almost all the help desk people, I had to take a help desk phone home and man it from 5pm to 8am every day and 24 hours a day all weekend.

123 hours of on call, in addition to 50-60 hours or work. I felt like I was under house arrest. The phones can't be forwarded. I had to sit home every night, missed my daughter's birthday because I couldn't forward the phone to any but another help desk phone and then worked all weekend answering calls.

I sent 3 emails and called the boss but no reply. I am not doing this again.

I Don't Hate My Job, But... I really like my coworkers and we all get along well except that 1 or 2 you hate but the comradery is awesome. . . . . . .
The company I work for comes up with really dumb ideas and they make it harder for us. . . . . . .
The pay is good and the benefits are good. . . . . . .
My manager is awesome and she supports the employees 100%
Oh yeah I should say I work in retail. in a big grocery store for a big company. . . . . . .