Movies I Cancelled My Netflix

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Mirage, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I cancelled my Netflix just now. I had it for 3 or 4 months after forgetting to cancel a trial and I actually ended up liking it for a while. In the end though I couldn't justify the money each month when by now I've run out of movies that I wanted to see.

Did anybody else run into this with programs such as Netflix? I feel I just don't watch enough movies to make it worth my while. I was happy with it though and I'll probably revive my membership in a few months after a few new batches of new releases are out and available for renting.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Funny, there's an ad for Netflix on this page.

I've never had Netflix. I think I would use it quite a bit for a while, but then after I've watched all the movies and tv shows that I wanted to watch I don't think I'd use it anymore.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I actually just signed up for netflix like 2 days ago.

I've been fighting the decision to do it for a while now and finally it was the movie "Brothers" that made me pull the trigger. Normally I just rent movies from places like Blockbuster or Movie Gallery but both of these places didnt have Brothers... Neither did 3 different Red Box locations that I know of. On top of that, Target was closed the day I was originally looking for it due to the power being out. Finally I just said screw it... and I caved on the decision of doing Netflix.

For me... I rent 2-3 movies every 2 weeks... at Blockbuster thats about 5 bucks a movie. With Netflix, I'm technically in it cheaper than I am renting from Blockbuster so it works out financially to either the same, or just under in my favor.

Thing is... I've already got a Que of over 100 different movies ranging from brand new stuff to really old stuff that I've never seen (like Reservoir Dogs). I wont hesitate to watch as many movies as I possibly can with my subscription... I will make it worth my time even if I have to watch shit sci-fi movies like Plan 9 from Outer Space (yes they have it available to stream on the PS3 :hah:)

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Haha, nice Ice. I never had more than 5 or 6 movies in my queue at a time. Towards the end here it was pretty difficult to even keep 2 in there. At one point I sent one back and didn't have another queued up so I had to add one. :lol:

I ended up renting two movies from my first few months over again during my last month because I couldn't think of anything else to put in there.

The worst part is I thought I watched a lot of movies going into this. After seeing you have over 100 movies lined up I think I can safely say I'm not as much of a movieholic as I thought I was! Also, I only had the 1 at a time plan. It looks like you are on the "stress test" plan. :D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  5. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

How exactly does netflix work? It sounds like something I could make ggod use of. I watch tons of movies.

6. Atlantis

Atlantis Registered Member

Netflix is cool if you watch lots of movies online. You can pay for up to 8 DVDs out at a time and have unlimited streaming. I did that for a while. It was a little over $50 a month. I didn't have cable then so I could justify the cost. There just aren't enough interesting movies so I got tired of it after a couple months.

Now I pay $18.39 per month to have 3 DVDs out at a time and the unlimited streaming. It's much cheaper than going to the video store, but sometimes Netflix doesn't have movies the stores have.

You'd have to get a free trial and see for yourself. Sometimes there are specials where you can get one or two movies a month with no streaming. That's from $5.99 to $9.99. You keep the movies as long as you want to and the postage is paid.

If you watch your movies right away and mail them back quickly, you'll get several per month unless you're on the limited plan. Hope that helps. :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  7. Ultra_Critical

Ultra_Critical Registered Member

I had a subscription to GameFly for about 6-7 months and found myself in a very similar situation. Once I had it for about 4 months I ran out of games that I really wanted to play and on top of that I was working too often to be able to enjoy them. Also, when I was too busy I would constantly forget to mail them back so I would go for a few weeks without even playing the games I had out.

However, GameFly is more expensive at $22.95 for two out at a time. Also, the availability of the games ranged from "Low" to "High" and new, hit games were sometimes hard to get a hold of. On the flip side, since Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was on my queue I got it in the mail the day of release, which was pretty cool.

In the end, I couldn't convince myself to keep paying for it. I canceled about two days after I was billed for July and they promptly refunded my money for that month which was fantastic.

8. Unity

Unity Chett Chetterfield Staff Member

Brix, I'm curious. How often did you watch things that were off of your "want to see" list?

I'm the type to kind of give movies/tv series chances even if I hadn't thought about them too much before, Netflix is good because there's A LOT out there.

9. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

Yeah, I'm thinking I may cancel my subscription to netflix soon as well. It's getting difficult to find anything new to watch. I also ended up ordering a bunch of used movies yesterday I liked off amazon for cheap so it isn't like I need netflix to watch whatever I liked anymore.

I don't know, I will probably keep it another month and then cancel.

10. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I've got well over 100 DVD's in my Que now. I use the hell out of Netflix, especially the PS3 streaming.

Currently I'm watching all the seasons of the X-Files (there are 9 Seasons and I'm on Season 1), I got alot of tv time for that to keep me watching.

I've found the TV series available on Netflix is what seems to be the most useful so far. Sure the DVD's have cut back entirely on what I used to spend Renting... but the TV series that I normally would have dropped 30-50 bucks on at the store just to give it a try... I spend 0 on that now and just watch them thanks to my netflix.

Seriously has been one of the best purchases i've made in a long long time.