I am just wondering what most people think is/are the most important purposes of gove

Government Purpose?

• Common Defense

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protection

• Liberty

• Pursuit of Happiness

• Resolving Conflicts

• Public Services

• Total voters

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am just wondering what most people think is/are the most important purposes of government.

Please choose a poll option, if you choose other, please specify.

Zappa

Registered Member
Well, in thinking about this question, I go back to why governments exist in the first place. At some point, people decided to stop being nomads and settle down, probably when they discovered farming. However, as population grows, resources become scarce, and crime rises. There needed to be a central, organizing factor which laid down a code of law and enforced it.

With further growth comes increased specialization amongst the population. In other words, some people are farmers, some are blacksmiths, etc. Then there needed to be a way to trade equably, and currency was invented, and regulated by the government.

Basically, the government in my mind was started as a way to make things run smoothly for it's citizens. The purpose of regulation was to make living and trading safe. As time went on, that became a lot more complicated. But to answer the question, I guess the best answer that represents what I think the purpose of government is preserving order.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I will say establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our posterity.

Governments cannot provide liberty or the pursuit of happiness as those are unalienable rights. Of course that's pretty self evident. lol.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Babe_Ruth; said:
I am just wondering what most people think is/are the most important purposes of government.
"Direction", be that for economic prosperity, social well-being, law and order or leadership in the face of danger. What is the right direction or wrong direction is always open for debate.

MenInTights; said:
Governments cannot provide liberty or the pursuit of happiness as those are unalienable rights.
Can they protect them? ...perhaps even making legal rights to protect these apparent inalienable rights?

Last edited:

Diederick

Registered Member
The purpose of government is to promote welfare for everyone. Whether we are talking a tribal council or a mega government like the USA has. Welfare involves basically everything, from infrastructure to protection against crime to universal healthcare and education.

Shwa

Gay As Fuck
V.I.P.
I put down General, they go over laws and bills, see high profile cases both inside the government of the states and some outside, deal with high profile criminal cases and make sure order is regulated as fairly as it can be delivered.

~Shwa