• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

I Almost Killed My Daughter

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It takes a lot of courage to admit when you make a mistake, yet mom blogger Jennifer Meer has not only admitted to her mistake, she publicly proclaims, “I almost killed my daughter.”

Jennifer Meer’s ‘I Almost Killed My Daughter’ Is A Viral Warning For Parents
This woman is so lucky the worst didn't happen and her child drowned in the tub. I can imagine how she felt, ignoring her 4 year old while she sent a email then to find her slumped over the tub. The 'what ifs' would of been going through my mind too.

I'm not really sure what age would be the proper age to say its fine to ignore them in the tub at least for the most part. I'm thinking 5 or 6, unless their sick, but its according to the child. This little girl would of probably been fine if she hadn't been so sleepy but still too young to be ignored entirely. To me if a child that age is sleepy its a sign they shouldn't be left alone at all.

I was wondering what you think about this? What age is the proper one to leave them in the tub alone?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
What a terrible situation. I had no problems leaving my daughter alone in the tub when she was only four years old. She still needed some help washing, of course, but she was perfectly fine playing in the water. I always made sure to only put a few inches in the tub for safety reasons. I think that four is an alright age for leaving them alone.

The real problem here is that the daughter was sick and tired. She probably should have been in bed, not the tub.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I'm really pleased everyone is ok and that the little girl is just fine. It's scary being a parent and things can happen so quick with young ones.

I put her in the bath and let it start to fill and left the room to go start the
shower for my son.
I think a 4 year old might be fine to leave in a bath, but not in a running bath, especially when sick. And just going to put her son in the shower is also acceptable, but yeah, the e-mail nearly did kill her daughter.

I'm sure she learned a lesson and it's great of her to speak so freely of this to warn other parents how quickly accidents can cause a life.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
After reading a few articles about kids under 5 drowning in the tub I have decided 4 is too young to leave in the tub for more than a few seconds alone and a 3 year old probably shouldn't be left alone at all. Although half of drownings in the tub occur with children under 1 it still seems to happen to kids up to 5.

An average of about 240 children under 5 years old drown in swimming pools nationwide each year. But CPSC also has reports of about 110 children under 5 who have drowned in other products in and around the home each year. These products include bathtubs, hot tubs, spas, buckets and other containers.

CPSC Warns of Baby Drowning Dangers Around the Home