Hypothetical: The Gay Gene

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
What do you think would happen if homosexuality was ever discovered to be a genetic trait? Let's say a "cure" is found where scientists can reverse homosexuality. What do you think the fallout would be? Do you think it would be okay to allow a "cure" for it?

In my views, many people would opt for the cure, more than most people would expect. Gays would be persecuted more than ever as defective people and fiery debates would break out all over the world. People who get cured would also come under great scrutiny from the gay community for their choices. However, that's just a few thoughts.

You?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I disagree that gays would be persecuted more since homosexuality would be proven to occur naturally instead of it being a choice. If gays want to opt for the cure then I don't see anything wrong with that. That should be their choice. But I do agree that they would probably be heavily criticized for it from the gay community.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
You don't think gays would be further persecuted for being "genetic defects"? It's not the same as people born with disabling diseases like Muscular Dystrophy, because we sympathize with them for being "lesser" than we are (it's just another way of saying "special", face it). I think the argument over whether or not it's a defect would be the source of many debates.

How about that? What if homosexuality was determined to be a "defect" of genetics? How would that play out?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Well most of the people against homosexuality are against it for religious reasons. So if it's proven to be a naturally occurring genetic defect, then they will have to accept the fact that God created them that way for a reason. Right? I don't know though. It's all just speculation. At the same time, I can see these same people wanting gays to be FORCED into being cured.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Im trying to put this into context in my mind, I suppose it is not too disimillar from gender-transformation.

As for a cure, of course if people think it is something worth curing then yes they should go for it. I imagine for some people it is hard to be content with ones self and their place in our society. That must be quite a harrowing experience.

The amount of people who would opt for the cure would vary be region, some of the more conservative and religious places where persecution and suicide amonst gay people is high would probably see more need for the cure than more liberal societies.

Well most of the people against homosexuality are against it for religious reasons. So if it's proven to be a naturally occurring genetic defect, then they will have to accept the fact that God created them that way for a reason. Right? I don't know though. It's all just speculation. At the same time, I can see these same people wanting gays to be FORCED into being cured.
That's not entirely true Echoes. I mean empiracally religious groups still persecute things that are different than them or someone who challenges their beliefs. The fact is they still view it as a sin, and I don't think that would entirely change just because it was found as a gene. Thats like the persecution of red heads in many cities in early America because they were seen to be "children of the devil."

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
That's not entirely true Echoes. I mean empiracally religious groups still persecute things that are different than them or someone who challenges their beliefs. The fact is they still view it as a sin, and I don't think that would entirely change just because it was found as a gene. Thats like the persecution of red heads in many cities in early America because they were seen to be "children of the devil."
Well like I said, it's all just speculation. I think what I said about religious groups wanting to force gays to be cured is the more likely scenario.

Well like I said, it's all just speculation. I think what I said about religious groups wanting to force gays to be cured is the more likely scenario.
Definatly, I'll agree there. I could see there being "out reach" programs where they raise money to "change" their sinful members.

That being said, I think it'd be really interesting if it did happen. There are a lot of reprecussions that we would see. I don't know if it'd be viewed as a "genetic defect" though. I mean naturally there would be some that would, but how could you call it a defect? I don't understand the concept of how homosexuality would be a "defect." It's not detrimental to the person, thats like saying "red heads" are "genetic defects."

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Being redheaded does not prevent breeding though, Sui. Only with our current technology is being homosexual not as much of a biological problem as it used to be.

Being redheaded does not prevent breeding though, Sui. Only with our current technology is being homosexual not as much of a biological problem as it used to be.
I guess I can see what you're saying Cons, but I guess I'm viewing this in a stupid PC point of view. I mean, I don't see how this harms again, being gay doesn't stop people from reproducing, but it's just not done the same way. Not to mention the fact that hey we got some population control. I'd hate to think what would happen if there were no gays. I mean think of how many more children we'd have. I mean, I'm not saying that's what homosexuals are for (population control).